Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Ironhead Sporty leaking from the rocker box. It’s not pissing out but it’s seeping enough to make me not want to go far on it. I need my bike next week for week while my trucks in the shop. Is there anyway I can do a real quick patch to slow or stop the leak? I’m planning on putting a new gasket in over the winter

·
Just Ride
3,152 Posts
Go to new members section and introduce yourself. Smear RTV heavy where you think it's leaking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
replace the gaskets, torque to spec and you are done.
Won’t be able to throw a new gasket on before Tuesday. It’s in the plans for this winter along with throwing out the garbage Keihin Carb and putting an S&S on her

·
Wayward Son
23,254 Posts
Another one who has bought into the "Keihins" are junk FUD wagon.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Just Ride
3,152 Posts
Go to new members section and introduce yourself. Smear RTV heavy where you think it's leaking.
Is it going to completely seal the leak or just slow it? Just want to know what to expect.
worked on an old shovelhead base gasket,clean area first. Temporary fix till you repair it correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it going to completely seal the leak or just slow it? Just want to know what to expect.
worked on an old shovelhead base gasket,clean area first. Temporary fix till you repair it correctly.
We’ll find out tomorrow, Mother Nature picked this weekend to come take a dump on Coastal NC so the JB Welds had since Friday to set, figuring a 10 mile blast down to the sound and back should give me a decent idea

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,750 Posts
JB Weld? You might have made your rocker box gasket a little more difficult to replace this winter.

·
Wayward Son
23,254 Posts
JB Weld? You might have made your rocker box gasket a little more difficult to replace this winter.
Thought the exact same thing.
Come to find out JB does make a high-temp RTV.

News to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Over the years I have had occasional small leaks through my Iron-heads rocker-box gaskets. Usually all I have to do was re-torque the bolts. If the leak wasn’t that bad I often rode with it for thousands of miles before doing anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts