1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
795 Posts
"These groups claim tax-exempt status under section 501 (c) (4) of the federal tax code, which is for social welfare groups. Unlike other charitable groups, these organizations are allowed to participate in political activities but their primary activity must be social welfare."

Very possibly an honest mistake. I wouldn't have thought the tea party would have met the criteria either.

·
Banned
447 Posts
501 (c) (4) provides tax exempt status to non-profit groups engaged in political action. We formed a shooting range group under 501 (c) (4) because our ongoing relationship with the NRA disqualified the group for 501 (c) (3) -- Non profit / w/ tax deductible donation status.

Contributions to 501 (c) (3) are tax deductible. Contributions to 501 (c) (4) are not tax deductible. An example of a 501 (c) (3) would be an historical preservation organization, or social welfare agencies like The Salvation Army.

I'm not at all surprised that the IRS might audit the cash flow of an ad hoc political party like the Tea Party. And you can just about assure yourself that it's going to be claimed that the audit is motivated as retaliation by the opposing political factions.

Sounds like maybe the Demo's stepped in it on this one.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
The IRS is a bunch of azzhats anyway.....Except for you TaxmanHog.... We like you. :D

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup taxmanHog is a patriot man hes cool =D

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Very interesting stuff here. I don't often get a return, but I am due one this year. I filed on February 1 and still have nothing.

I filed a complaint and accused the IRS of discrimination of me two weeks ago. I knew nothing of the reports. They have been holding/auditing my return because of my "charitable contributions". They never would let me talk directly with those that were auditing me. Guess what: Saturday morning, my return was released. I hope to finally have my return cash within the next couple of weeks.

They do audit the social sites. I do Facebook and this one. I have very close friends that are involved with many conservative organizations. I hope this post gets recorded as well. I do believe that I am one of the honest ones.

Our government at work.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,002 Posts
Just some food for thought here:
Remember that using the IRS to harass political opponents was one of the charges in Richard Nixon's impeachment voted by the House. It never went to trial because Nixon resigned, but misuse of the IRS was one of the charges that brought him down.
There may not be enough meat on the bone with Benghazi, but this could gain some traction.

·
Noel
7,356 Posts
Let's put it simple, the reason 501's have various classifications and some of which are exempt and some are not, vary according to the Social Good the organization brings to society, I hate the fact the tax code is placed in this precarious position, but it's there to allow institutions to function without onerous financial burdens when the meager & mighty funds they raise can be used to achieve good works, often times more efficiently the FEMA or some other federal bureaucracy.

You would be surprised at the number of organizations seeking this status and more so surprised at those which have been granted the status, like the NHRA.

The Auditors have a delicate responsibility to weed out the fraudulent from the legitimate organizations

I remember Jim & Tammy Fay Baker, Jimmy Swaggart and plenty of others in the Religious realm of 501 organizations, these folks were (IMHO) scandalous con artists who abused the trust of their faithful followers and hard working taxpayers everywhere!!

Many of you have gotten to know my opinions, if you have not deduced this by now, it's a fact that I am very sympathetic to the Tea Party and SOME or the Patriot causes, there are a few that are too radical for my support, but in generally I like many of you am tired of the do nothing congress and executive branch of government (Political wing).

As stated in another thread, the NIXON era of the IRS is long dead or so I thought, but in the past several years I'm starting to doubt myself, I wonder how much the elements of Chicago MOB Politics are affecting the independent function the the US Treasury and the IRS.

After 27 years of fighting to make this a credible organization, I'm pretty pissed and embarrassed but I am not giving up. There are many of us willing to make right the wrongs being done by a few.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Let's put it simple, the reason 501's have various classifications and some of which are exempt and some are not, vary according to the Social Good the organization brings to society, I hate the fact the tax code is placed in this precarious position, but it's there to allow institutions to function without onerous financial burdens when the meager & mighty funds they raise can be used to achieve good works, often times more efficiently the FEMA or some other federal bureaucracy.

You would be surprised at the number of organizations seeking this status and more so surprised at those which have been granted the status, like the NHRA.

The Auditors have a delicate responsibility to weed out the fraudulent from the legitimate organizations

I remember Jim & Tammy Fay Baker, Jimmy Swaggart and plenty of others in the Religious realm of 501 organizations, these folks were (IMHO) scandalous con artists who abused the trust of their faithful followers and hard working taxpayers everywhere!!

Many of you have gotten to know my opinions, if you have not deduced this by now, it's a fact that I am very sympathetic to the Tea Party and SOME or the Patriot causes, there are a few that are too radical for my support, but in generally I like many of you am tired of the do nothing congress and executive branch of government (Political wing).

As stated in another thread, the NIXON era of the IRS is long dead or so I thought, but in the past several years I'm starting to doubt myself, I wonder how much the elements of Chicago MOB Politics are affecting the independent function the the US Treasury and the IRS.

After 27 years of fighting to make this a credible organization, I'm pretty pissed and embarrassed but I am not giving up. There are many of us willing to make right the wrongs being done by a few.
Does that mean you can help me get more back over the last 11 years, since, for that length of time I've been paying damn near 30% of my paycheck to all these little taxes and crap that the gov't uses... 30% when you only make like $25K a year is some bullshit...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Thanks Noel, anyone that spends any length of time on here is aware that you take pride in your position and do what is correct....
Keep up the good work and keep us posted from your vantage point....

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,002 Posts
Thanks Noel, anyone that spends any length of time on here is aware that you take pride in your position and do what is correct....
Keep up the good work and keep us posted from your vantage point....
Noel and people like him in government are the only thing that give me any hope at all for getting those problems in government fixed. Noel, thanks for all you do, my friend, and pass my gratitude on to those you know that are of like mind and effort.

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
Noel is a stand-up guy and our man on the inside. I just hope he stays out of the cafeteria, I hear they have a lot of kool-aid.

·
Noel
7,356 Posts
New procedures will ensure the mistakes won't be repeated

Thanks guys appreciate the understanding and support.

So the Acting commissioner posted a Letter to USA Today last night in response to the USA Today Editorial

We were told about it today via an in house news release.

IRS: 'We should have done a better job'

The Internal Revenue Service recognizes that we should have done a better job of handling the influx of applications by advocacy organizations.

OUR VIEW: 'Outrageous' actions violate core principles

Mistakes were made, but they were in no way due to any political or partisan motivation. We are — and will continue to be — dedicated to reviewing all applications for tax-exempt status in an impartial manner.

We sought to centralize work in this area in 2010 because our office of Exempt Organizations observed a sharp increase in the number of section 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) applications coming from groups potentially engaged in political campaign intervention. Between 2010 and 2012, the number of applications for 501(c)(4) status more than doubled, from 1,591 to 3,398.

Because the law limits and in some cases prohibits political intervention by exempt organizations, the IRS must carefully review applications based on the facts of each case. While centralizing cases for consistency made sense, the way we initially centralized them did not.

There was a shortcut taken in our processes to determine which groups needed additional review. The mistakes we made were due to the absence of a sufficient process for working the increase in cases and a lack of sensitivity to the implications of some of the decisions that were made.

These are factually complex and sensitive cases, and it's challenging to separate out political issues from those involving education or social welfare. It's not always a clear area, and there are no bright-line tests for what constitutes political intervention. Yet, the IRS is tasked with monitoring and enforcing this difficult area.

We fixed the situation last year, and have made significant progress in moving the centralized cases through our system. To date, more than half of these cases have been approved or withdrawn. These applications, which came from all parts of the political spectrum, received the same, even-handed treatment.

The new procedures we have implemented ensure the mistakes we made won't be repeated. We want to stress that our employees — all career civil servants — will continue to be guided by tax law and not by partisan issues.

The IRS remains committed to protecting the integrity of our nation's tax system.

Steven T. Miller is acting commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,800 Posts
So, now that our eyes are clear, and we have a new perspective,

lets go back and look at what Fast and Furious was about...

remembering the administration clearly doesn't give a shit

about American Embassy employees and Ambassadors

do we really believe Fast and Furious was because we cared

about gun violence in Mexico? :think

1 - 20 of 22 Posts