Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes...about a month ago I purchased a 2006 sportster 1200 and fastly outgrowing the thing..I am 5"11 245 pounds and can handle this thing with ease...is this bike handle just like a dyna?...how much more of a step up is it

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'll try and say something with my limited knowledge... I had an 883 Iron. I could handle it and it felt very maneuverable between my legs (not trying to be crude) but not as powerful. Kind of like the 250 cc I got my license on.

When I got my Street Bob (dyna) I could feel the power but still had the maneuverability between my legs. It did not feel as little as a Sportster.

My recommendation? Demo demo demo. Find out the answer to your question for yourself.

:bikerguy:

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
Yes...about a month ago I purchased a 2006 sportster 1200 and fastly outgrowing the thing..I am 5"11 245 pounds and can handle this thing with ease...is this bike handle just like a dyna?...how much more of a step up is it
After not having a bike for many years I got a 1200 Sporty. Loved it. But...., wasn't long till I wanted more. Got a Dyna Fat Bob. Loved it. But...., it still wasn't enough--and I was wanting to do some traveling so I got my Road Glide.

My advice, test ride a Dyna. And a Softail. And a touring bike. :)

·
Just Ride
3,886 Posts
My wife rides a dyna, had a sportster. Lower center of gravity lets it handle easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my wife a 883 in October, the more she rode it, she grew to hate it, higher center of gravity made it feel too awkward in curves for her, traded her bike in just a couple of weeks ago, along with my Suzuki C50 and bought an Ultra Classic, as she said she just wasn't feeling riding due to her experience with the 883, she took a couple rides as a passenger and just a couple of days ago she was back at the dealer test riding a softail slim, she said with the center of gravity on it she felt way comfortable and enjoyed the ride on it, signed papers on it and will take delivery in a few days when it is delivered.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Its safe to say sportsters are for people who like them!
There is a misconception that they are starter or small people bikes.
Check them all out and find what's right for you.

I have a King and a Nightster love them both. Find the Nightster gets more attention though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Is it safe to say sportsters are for women and beginner riders
That would only be partially correct.

Are Sportsters relatively easy bikes to handle? Yes. Does that make them better bikes for many women and beginners? Yes. It also makes them good bikes for riders that want to enjoy the experience of riding on a great looking bike with decent power/handling and that fits in with their riding habits.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I hear all the time, Sportsters are easy to ride, handle easily, etc. Well, I love my Sportster, but a Soft tail would be a better choice for a new, or small rider. The soft tail has a lot lower center of gravity and while it makes little difference at road speeds, in parking lots and stop and go traffic the soft tail is a lot better......your wife should spread the word.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I hear all the time, Sportsters are easy to ride, handle easily, etc. Well, I love my Sportster, but a Soft tail would be a better choice for a new, or small rider. The soft tail has a lot lower center of gravity and while it makes little difference at road speeds, in parking lots and stop and go traffic the soft tail is a lot better......your wife should spread the word.

That is true. I started on a sportster traded to a king. King much easier to handle/maneuver

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.