Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is William, former '98 Dyna Convertible owner, (regret selling the bike). I've posted a couple of threads about a Harley I'm interested in: a 2007 Harley FXD Superglide with 25,000 miles on her, asking $9,200 Canadian funds. Anyway my friend is telling me that 25,000 is considered "high mileage" so if I trade it in, in about 3 or 4 years (I only ride about 3,000 miles a year) the trade in value will drop dramatically. Is my friend right? What odometer reading would a motorcycle salesman consider high mileage on a bike like the 2007 FXD Superglide? Thank you for your answers and comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
39,472 Posts
A salesman's interpretation of high mileage is highly dependent on if you are buying or selling.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,734 Posts
A salesman's interpretation of high mileage is highly dependent on if you are buying or selling.
Dang, beat me to it.

I thought about getting a newer electra glide (before I bought the Dyna as a second bike instead) and was looking to trade in my bike. I had a crate motor installed brand new and only had 30k miles on it. He said that was "high mileage", but (get this) the bike I was looking at was a "low mileage" with 40k on it. Go figure.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dang, beat me to it.

I thought about getting a newer electra glide (before I bought the Dyna as a second bike instead) and was looking to trade in my bike. I had a crate motor installed brand new and only had 30k miles on it. He said that was "high mileage", but (get this) the bike I was looking at was a "low mileage" with 40k on it. Go figure.
And it was owned by a little old lady that only rode it to church on sundays.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
If you look on Chopper Exchange for instance you going to see wide ranges in mileage on same year same model bikes , your not going to see nearly as wide of range in price though. I've seen bikes with 30K difference in miles be $ 250 difference in price or even the same.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
my question is .. why are you worried about what it will be worth later?

buy the damned thing if you want it and ride the piss out of it .. that is what they are made for.. not worrying about how much you can get for it later.. because the answer is .. no nearly as much as you think

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts

buy the damned thing if you want it and ride the piss out of it .. that is what they are made for.. not worrying about how much you can get for it later.. because the answer is .. no nearly as much as you think
Thread is over. ..that is the answer!

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
25K is not a lot of miles. For anything. I would be more concerned about who put those miles on. Was it a youngster who only knew WOT from day 1? Or was it a more refined elderly gentleman such as myself? :)

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I have asked the mileage question, and was told by 2 different dealers/salesman that 49,900 is the magic number, that after that there is a drop in value as far as NADA is concerned.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I'm with 3OLIVE on this matter. Ride it as long as you want and don't worry about how many miles you run up. When it is time to trade or sell it get what you can and move on with no regrets.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I'm with 3OLIVE on this matter. Ride it as long as you want and don't worry about how many miles you run up. When it is time to trade or sell it get what you can and move on with no regrets.
Absolutely.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts

im with olive on this one ^^^

·
Registered
445 Posts
2Stangs is right also, check the Kelly Blue book motorcycle value private party and retail. You will see there isn't a lot of drop in the value of a bike with 25k or 15k. Once you get close to 50k it does drop more.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Average milage here is figured at 5000 miles a year, so I would say on an 07 you are not high milage.
I ain't busting your chops, but, 5k miles a year is average in N.C.???? For chrimany sakes I put 9k on this past year in Wisconsin and mine gets covered for 4 1/2 months. Most of my buds put on over 8k miles last year. Some more than 10k. You guys gotta be averaging more than that.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I ain't busting your chops, but, 5k miles a year is average in N.C.???? For chrimany sakes I put 9k on this past year in Wisconsin and mine gets covered for 4 1/2 months. Most of my buds put on over 8k miles last year. Some more than 10k. You guys gotta be averaging more than that.
Ha ha....5k....when I was 10 maybe my 07 nightster has has 123,000 on it..that's 17,000 a year average

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Bought my 98 Sporty with 26K on it, rode it to 40K only lost about a grand when I sold it. Bought this king with 7K on it, its got 25K on it now... its just broken in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That 5000 is what the dealers go by. I have put 11,500 on my Ultra since getting it August 2nd last year. I usually put on about 15,000 a year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts