Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm taking in my bike for service tomorrow (5K)..and I'm pretty sure I will have them check this out..but since some of the guys at the stealership aren't too bright, I always feel the need to go ahead and tell them what I think the problem is!!! So here is what I have been experiencing...

2006 Sporty 883L
5,000 miles
Always been serviced on time, and hasn't had any problems

Scenario:
You are coming up to a stop sign (with no one coming) or you pull up to a stoplight, and it turns green before you really need to stop. I will have the bike in neutral. Well, I will almost be at a complete stop (we're talking single digit MPH) and I will downshift into 1st gear to take off again, as I won't be going fast enough to shift into 2nd.

Well what happens, is that my gear shifter won't engage into 1st. It will be in neutral, and I will hit the shifter...and it moves down, but doesn't click into first?? I really don't think it's something I'm doing as a rider, as it's only started happening in the last 2 weeks. It's happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I'll be in neutral, try to shift down into 1st, the shifter moves down as I step onto it, but it doesn't engage and "click". (so I end up shifting up into 2nd, and taking off more slowly...)

Does this sound like a common problem, or can people suggest things that I need to tell the dealership to look at specifically??

Thanks in advance guys!!
(custombikemike..you might be of some good help to me here, with your past experience with Sportsters!)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Question for ya. Why are you putting into neutral at a stop light/sign? Why not just downshift and keep it in gear and hold in the clutch? This way should some einstein decide to “not see you” at a stop you can quickly be rolling again?? I NEVER put my scoot into neutral at a stop light/sign. Always have an escape route planned ahead and checking mirrors.

Now as far as it not shifting into 1st from a slow roll….. It probably needs a clutch adjustment..

my 2 cents,

greg

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank Greg. I also talked about this with Max, and got some suggestions...the clutch adjustment being one of them.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Question for ya. Why are you putting into neutral at a stop light/sign? Why not just downshift and keep it in gear and hold in the clutch? This way should some einstein decide to “not see you” at a stop you can quickly be rolling again?? I NEVER put my scoot into neutral at a stop light/sign. Always have an escape route planned ahead and checking mirrors.

Now as far as it not shifting into 1st from a slow roll….. It probably needs a clutch adjustment..

my 2 cents,

greg
I agree with both thoughts.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts

my 2 cents,

greg
You leave yourself vulnerable by being in neutral.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Clutch adjustment will fix that selection problem. Always position your self with an escape route planned. Definitely keep the bike ready to move out of the way when stopped in traffic and an eye on what's happening behind you.

Remember in a pinch (broken clutch cable or something) you can always change gear (up or down) without the clutch.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! We were going to take the bikes this morning, but it was raining all morning, and if you aren't there at 7:15AM on Saturday's...there's a slim to none chance of getting the service done in a timely manner. Anyway long story longer...the sun finally came out around noon, so Rob and I went out and put another 100 miles or so on the bikes :)

I called the Stealership,and told their butts to come pick up both bikes Monday morning, and drop them off at my house when they are done :D ....so there :)

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
Thanks guys! We were going to take the bikes this morning, but it was raining all morning, and if you aren't there at 7:15AM on Saturday's...there's a slim to none chance of getting the service done in a timely manner. Anyway long story longer...the sun finally came out around noon, so Rob and I went out and put another 100 miles or so on the bikes :)

I called the Stealership,and told their butts to come pick up both bikes Monday morning, and drop them off at my house when they are done :D ....so there :)
I took AJ up to my mom's (~100 mile RT). She had a blast, of course, and drew more attention than she wanted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cupcake: try this and let me know how it works. Just before you try & downshift into first...when it normally doesn't go into first...blip the throttle ever so slightly to change the RPM range..and THEN downshift.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cupcake: try this and let me know how it works. Just before you try & downshift into first...when it normally doesn't go into first...blip the throttle ever so slightly to change the RPM range..and THEN downshift.
Thanks Wildwolf! If it ever stops raining, and I get to ride again, I'll try it:eek:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hey guys, I'm taking in my bike for service tomorrow (5K)..and I'm pretty sure I will have them check this out..but since some of the guys at the stealership aren't too bright, I always feel the need to go ahead and tell them what I think the problem is!!! So here is what I have been experiencing...

2006 Sporty 883L
5,000 miles
Always been serviced on time, and hasn't had any problems

Scenario:
You are coming up to a stop sign (with no one coming) or you pull up to a stoplight, and it turns green before you really need to stop. I will have the bike in neutral. Well, I will almost be at a complete stop (we're talking single digit MPH) and I will downshift into 1st gear to take off again, as I won't be going fast enough to shift into 2nd.

Well what happens, is that my gear shifter won't engage into 1st. It will be in neutral, and I will hit the shifter...and it moves down, but doesn't click into first?? I really don't think it's something I'm doing as a rider, as it's only started happening in the last 2 weeks. It's happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I'll be in neutral, try to shift down into 1st, the shifter moves down as I step onto it, but it doesn't engage and "click". (so I end up shifting up into 2nd, and taking off more slowly...)

Does this sound like a common problem, or can people suggest things that I need to tell the dealership to look at specifically??

Thanks in advance guys!!
(custombikemike..you might be of some good help to me here, with your past experience with Sportsters!)
I have the identical problem/situation on my 07 Night Rod Special with a hydrolic clutch so I think it may be a design issue. It's not the end of the world but it is annoying. I like the throttle blip idea. I know your not suppose to coast down in nuetral but I dont think you leave yourself vulnerable because I too check all mirrors and surroundings when coming to a stop and if need be I am ready to shift into gear and take off again. With the condition Cupcake and myself have then it is dangerous.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Back in the 70's this guy was at a red light in 1st gear,clutch in. His clutch cable broke, his bike lurched out right in front of an oncoming 18 wheeler killing him. When you keep your bike in gear at a light or stop always hold your brakes. ( front or rear) That way if your clutch cable breaks all you do is stall your engine. Odds of your clutch cable breaking are small, tell that to the guy that got killed.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Rev-matching is your friend.

Adjust the clutch cable.

Keep it in gear and don't pull up on the bumper of the guy in front of you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch Problems

if...

Won't shift into neutral
or
Wont' shift into 1st
or
etc,etc

TRY
bump throttle when trying shift....it works for me!
(but probably need a clutch adjustment anyway)

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
ditto13041 , you're replying to a post that's 3 years old . I'm thinking she had the problem fixed by now !!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
ditto13041 , you're replying to a post that's 3 years old . I'm thinking she had the problem fixed by now !!!
4 YRS old.
First gear at a stop, clutch in, hand on brake. MSF course 101.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts