Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,187 Posts
It violated the rules. I saw but don't exactly remember which rule.

Reactions: Kainam

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,458 Posts
I dunno if it's in the rules, but it should be:
No joining just to make a first post to complain about something.

I mean this is a "community" of Harley fans. This isn't a help desk, or a review site or anything else like that. It's not that reviews aren't welcome, or questions, or complaints...

But a lot of people join just to piss and moan about how they got shafted by this or that place and then they're gone, as if coming here to complain and bad-mouth a company is going to do any good for them. It feels like a "Karen" threatening to "leave a bad Yelp review if you don't give me free stuff for what I perceive as a slight or bad service" and smacks of unnecessary vindictiveness. That crap gets old fast. This isn't a place to just come to complain about something.

Then others join demanding an answer to something, often times giving very little details about what kind of bike they have, then posting the same question every 5 minutes in a new thread until someone responds, or they respond to their own thread in less than an hour, being bitchy about how nobody has responded yet, as if it's our jobs to help people with their problems. That gets old fast too.

The rules I think state you need to post an introduction in the new members section. This should help cut down on the aforementioned problems as well as spam and cut down on the "one-and-done" posts (where people come in to post a question then never use the site again after they get their answer). But, fat lot of good it does if nobody reads them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dunno if it's in the rules, but it should be:
No joining just to make a first post to complain about something.

I mean this is a "community" of Harley fans. This isn't a help desk, or a review site or anything else like that. It's not that reviews aren't welcome, or questions, or complaints...

But a lot of people join just to piss and moan about how they got shafted by this or that place and then they're gone, as if coming here to complain and bad-mouth a company is going to do any good for them. It feels like a "Karen" threatening to "leave a bad Yelp review if you don't give me free stuff for what I perceive as a slight or bad service" and smacks of unnecessary vindictiveness. That crap gets old fast. This isn't a place to just come to complain about something.

Then others join demanding an answer to something, often times giving very little details about what kind of bike they have, then posting the same question every 5 minutes in a new thread until someone responds, or they respond to their own thread in less than an hour, being bitchy about how nobody has responded yet, as if it's our jobs to help people with their problems. That gets old fast too.

The rules I think state you need to post an introduction in the new members section. This should help cut down on the aforementioned problems as well as spam and cut down on the "one-and-done" posts (where people come in to post a question then never use the site again after they get their answer). But, fat lot of good it does if nobody reads them.
I don't know, but that all sounds kind of chicken** to me. I can't believe there would be a problem with someone new to Harleys, especially older Harley models, seeking knowledge for an issue from those you'd expect to have said knowledge and willing to share it...otherwise, exactly why bother joining a brand specific forum with technical sub-forums if not to help/be helped? There are a crap load of forums just about the riding experience, why not just join that...or why bother joining any forum. Who freak'n cares if someone ask a single question if it's a legit serious question from someone in need? Owners of other brands looking to talk ** about Harley can kick rocks. Posting on the Sportster forum about hating Sportsters can kick rocks. I bet every person that's impatient about getting answers is a noob to Harleys, has slightly older to older bike that stealerships don't care about, doesn't know any indies but knows that just about everything ever created has a freak'n forum supporting it. And here's another issue...believe it or not, most of them did NOT seek you out. We should encourage everyone to do as much of what they can and a biggest part of that in the modern world is if you have a problem...google it. Guy googles about FXR dying after 20 minutes and he gets 8,000 freak'n full pages of every possible aspect including forum member questions and then answers but in separate links so it looks like multiple resources instead of a thread. They want clarification or whatever and find they can't ask unless they join. They're just trying to get their f** bike home and thought they came somewhere with people that could help, they have no mindset of any one and done concerns because...who the fly'n f*** cares. I mean, I think I'm in the wrong place, I didn't mean to join a club, I meant to join a forum. I thought the inclusion of technical sub-forums meant this was a legit forum where one and done means we actually solved someone's problem, something to be proud of, not butt-hurt about. I agree joining to post a bad review should be deleted, but the rest of your comment is 100% against what a Harley community should be. But that's just how I see it and you won't have to worry about anything I see 1min after I hit reply, I'm not a 9-5er, I'm an indie outlaw and I made a mistake, I don't do uptight, not a good look.

·
Registered
43,190 Posts
I don't know, but that all sounds kind of chicken** to me. I can't believe there would be a problem with someone new to Harleys, especially older Harley models, seeking knowledge for an issue from those you'd expect to have said knowledge and willing to share it...otherwise, exactly why bother joining a brand specific forum with technical sub-forums if not to help/be helped? There are a crap load of forums just about the riding experience, why not just join that...or why bother joining any forum. Who freak'n cares if someone ask a single question if it's a legit serious question from someone in need? Owners of other brands looking to talk about Harley can kick rocks. Posting on the Sportster forum about hating Sportsters can kick rocks. I bet every person that's impatient about getting answers is a noob to Harleys, has slightly older to older bike that stealerships don't care about, doesn't know any indies but knows that just about everything ever created has a freak'n forum supporting it. And here's another issue...believe it or not, most of them did NOT seek you out. We should encourage everyone to do as much of what they can and a biggest part of that in the modern world is if you have a problem...google it. Guy googles about FXR dying after 20 minutes and he gets 8,000 freak'n full pages of every possible aspect including forum member questions and then answers but in separate links so it looks like multiple resources instead of a thread. They want clarification or whatever and find they can't ask unless they join. They're just trying to get their f* bike home and thought they came somewhere with people that could help, they have no mindset of any one and done concerns because...who the fly'n f cares. I mean, I think I'm in the wrong place, I didn't mean to join a club, I meant to join a forum. I thought the inclusion of technical sub-forums meant this was a legit forum where one and done means we actually solved someone's problem, something to be proud of, not butt-hurt about. I agree joining to post a bad review should be deleted, but the rest of your comment is 100% against what a Harley community should be. But that's just how I see it and you won't have to worry about anything I see 1min after I hit reply, I'm not a 9-5er, I'm an indie outlaw and I made a mistake, I don't do uptight, not a good look.
Take a breath. That guy joined solely to sell his crap, not to learn about Harleys.

His post got deleted exactly for that, just like thousands of other spammers trying to unload their garbage never to be seen again. Not for wanting to learn about their bike. There has never been a post deleted for someone asking a question about their bike.

You'd think that someone that has been a member here for 7 years would know that.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,458 Posts
Besides, what I was talking about wasn't people who join and ask a question (which I don't have any problems with), it was about people who join and ask a question and then act like assholes when they don't get an instant response like we're some kind of customer service help desk. Was pretty explicit about exactly what I was talking about (people acting like assholes because they didn't get instant service).

But no, you're not uptight at all...

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Someone joined to bitch about an aftermarket company, wanting to get people here to hop on his band wagon.
We don't participate in cancel culture unless the company in question goes woke.
Or they sell Hondas!!!!!
Yikes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts