Harley Davidson Forums banner

Is it the right one ?

6K views 61 replies 27 participants last post by  Miles Tequillya 
#1 ·
Stopped by the dealer today ...... no real reason but one thing lead to another and they have 3 stock 2012 low mileage SG's on the floor., all 3 listed @ $18,500 .We talked a little , I set a $200.00 limit on a payment , trade my 01 Deuce and 2K cash ........ they left me a message later that they could do that ....... Hmmm .

Guess maybe I thought they wouldn't be able to get to that payment.
Kinda been waiting for the right deal .... nothing wrong with any of these but it would be nice if they were already stage 1 or had some kind of extras on them instead of adding 2 or 3 grand on top of the price .

Here's the one I'm liken , they have one more same color with only 4500mi same price , too much for a stock 2012 ?

Harley-Davidson 2012 Street Glide®

#3 ·
Pretty damn nice! Maybe Stage 1 can be rolled into the deal somehow without blowing your note out of reach.

--

#6 ·
They may have discounted some to get to that payment I'm thinking , my 01 Deuce at best on a trade is worth 7500 minus 3700 still owed on it so there either making it up on the trade or the price.

CL or Chopper exchange are pretty much 17,500 - 19,500 but then I don't have the trade option either .

#5 ·
I'm already researching ebay for exhaust , intake , and tuner. I have maybe $800 in parts I could sell from my Deuce to go into the SG . As I told them I didn't want to go over $200 a month so I could customize it cause you know I gotta Ha Ha Ha .

#7 ·
Even if you added $3000 for stage one, your payment would only be affected by about $30/month...work on them, hit them up for half the upgrade cost, it's winter and sales are slow now. The mileage is right on that bike and they are a sweet ride, it's worth the money!

#8 ·
Nice bike Duce.. I'm thinking the same as what's already been said. If you want to mod it, why not buy the parts, have them throw in the labor to seal the deal. Win win. Its winter.

#14 ·
And please do not only focus on the monthly payment, check the interest rate they are giving you...If your credit is good you should be able to find better financing before you get to the dealer. And then have them try to match it.

Check the term as well... Based on interest rate, you could be paying for less months, same monthly payment and save thousands of dollars by doing it at 48 or 60 months versus 72 or 84...

This is how dealers take advantage of people that are only focused on a monthly payment.

#20 ·
Wachuko, I like your way of thinking. Alternative way of financing: IF, you have owned your home and built up equity, take out a line of credit with your bank. My wife have done this with car purchases and home improvements in the past and the line of credit interest rate has been as low as 2.8 to 3.5 percent. The line of credit comes with a check book so you are talking to the dealership sales mgr about a cash deal. And with low interest rates you can pay off the line of cr much quicker than financing through the dealership. We have paid off car notes within 2 yrs. My:2cents

#15 ·
If you are buying used, I'd hunt around and find your own. You might even have the luck of finding a used one with the stage one already done. Nice thing about used bikes, they are rarely bone stock. 02 e-glide came with a tuner pack, SE upgraded cam plate, already a cam so it rocks and thumps like it should. Let some other guy do the upgrades, cut the dealership out. Some dealers like to double their money on a trade in. Guys on craigslist rarely want that much. Also, due to the nature of Harley's and the people who buy them, used bikes are usually very clean and well maintained. I wouldn't think of buying a used bike at a dealership. You can usually get pretty good rates at a local credit union. Good luck in your search.

#16 ·
Some dealers try to unload there rental bikes. Personally I would not want a rental bike. People tend to beat on rental vehicles. They should disclose that to you prior to sale, cant hurt to ask.

#28 ·
Some dealers try to unload there rental bikes. Personally I would not want a rental bike. People tend to beat on rental vehicles.

The other side of this argument is that rentals get a full inspection every time they're returned. How many privately owned bikes get that kind of treatment / attention?

Duce, is your dealer really doing 0% interest loans for the entirety of the term? As much as I love not having a payment, that'd really be tempting.

#21 ·
Never ever discuss a payment amount. That's your business not theirs.

What you need to know:

1. Out the door price, itemized so you know what they are adding on
2. Trade value
3. Amount financed
4. Interest rate and term of loan
5. Monthly payment

I have found that Harley financing usually offers the best interest rates My credit union only offers 6.9% on motorcycle loans because they consider a motorcycle a recreational vehicle, they offer car loans at 1.99%.

This time last year I bought my wifes 2012 Tequila Sunrise SG from the local dealer for 17k OTD. 5,000 miles, it has cruise, abs, security, a sundowner seat and about $500 in chrome on it.

Remember Harley has cut production, the used market is flooded and Nov-Dec are the two slowest months of the year for sales. Its a buyers market right now.

#23 ·
Stopped by the dealer today ...... no real reason but one thing lead to another and they have 3 stock 2012 low mileage SG's on the floor., all 3 listed @ $18,500 .We talked a little , I set a $200.00 limit on a payment , trade my 01 Deuce and 2K cash ........ they left me a message later that they could do that ....... Hmmm .

Guess maybe I thought they wouldn't be able to get to that payment.

Kinda been waiting for the right deal .... nothing wrong with any of these but it would be nice if they were already stage 1 or had some kind of extras on them instead of adding 2 or 3 grand on top of the price .

Here's the one I'm liken , they have one more same color with only 4500mi same price , too much for a stock 2012 ?

Harley-Davidson 2012 Street Glide®

It looks good, Duce. It does. But, I've got to tell you that you don't sound like you've found your bike yet. When I met mine it was a matter of "I have got to make this happen right now." I knew I had to keep my sh¡t together so I'd get a good deal, but I knew (privately) that I HAD to have her.

I say keep looking, but I'm only one man. Good luck to you.

#25 ·
I think your right on , none of the 3 they have are in that category , nice clean bikes but not calling my name.

Negotiating to a monthly payment is exactly what a dealer wants to hear. Negotiate to the price, not to the monthly payment. And, once you get to the price, THEN mention you might want to trade, if that's the case.

Just sayin'...
Well the cats out of the bag on this one so , I know the shell game they will make it look how ever you want , bottom line is what am I paying when it's time to sign , $200 for more than 60 months ain't happening.

Also I've been looking around / comparison shopping on Chopper Exchange and it has turned up much better deals , this one for instance is a half day drive from here not even broke in yet with a couple of extras even ,

2012 Harley-Davidson® FLHX Street Glide® (Big Blue Pearl), Big Bend, Wisconsin (509983) | ChopperExchange.com

#24 ·
Negotiating to a monthly payment is exactly what a dealer wants to hear. Negotiate to the price, not to the monthly payment. And, once you get to the price, THEN mention you might want to trade, if that's the case.

Just sayin'...

#27 ·
No not at all , I've been thinking about this since I walked out of the dealer Wed , I posted this to get opinions , even the title of the thread eludes to my apprehension , you just posted an opinion that hit home along with some others , I appreciate it , the dealer may not :laugh

#32 ·
Gold. I use a calculator also. I need to know all the terms and. I want it for free!!!! Lol. Salesman worst nightmare. Make them work. If he doesn't go to sales manager 3 times. Your losing money.
If they agreed to terms that fast. They are hiding money somewhere.
0% is sick. My car is zero. Free loans are the best.
Good luck

#35 ·
@ Duce, my wife picked out my bike, two years before I bought it, I took one look at it and knew it was the bike I wanted to ride. Bought it from a private owner, trailered it home, didn't sit on it, till I had it parked, previous bike was a Sporty. My point is, there's a reason for everything, if its not meant to be its not meant to be. As far as deals go.. "if its a good deal today, it will be a good deal tomorrow"

@Jeff... Old dude with a flip phone.. "app, I don't need no stinking app"
:)

#36 ·
Yea I pretty much let this slide on by . I've been looking on Chopper Exchange and there are quite a few better deals on there for 2011 - 2013 SG's.

I found the same color 2012 with 1700mi , SE pipes , 4 point docking with a backrest plus drivers backrest for $2500 less , add the $1500 or so in extras I don't have to buy , all the sudden I'm $3000 better off considering the zero interest saves me $995.

#37 ·
Patience is a virtue. One I have none of, but a virtue nonetheless. :laugh

#39 ·
Update ,

I didn't get around to going back till Thurs , the 12 SG they had for the right money sold , the other 2 and the RG they didn't own as good so those are out ......

BUT on the table now is a 2014 SG 2460mi , Amber Whiskey , 1K service done all syn ,remaining warranty , slip on's , hwy pegs , 4 point docking station w/backrest and grips , all things I would've added say except the grips maybe. 20% discount for all accessories I buy from them also.

There going to give me $8500 for trade on my 01 Deuce , sell the SG for $19,999 out the door.

My payment goes up $40 a month and I start a new 72 month loan . . . . . . I'm really considering breaking my rules for this one

#42 ·
Update ,

I didn't get around to going back till Thurs , the 12 SG they had for the right money sold , the other 2 and the RG they didn't own as good so those are out ......

BUT on the table now is a 2014 SG 2460mi , Amber Whiskey , 1K service done all syn ,remaining warranty , slip on's , hwy pegs , 4 point docking station w/backrest and grips , all things I would've added say except the grips maybe. 20% discount for all accessories I buy from them also.

There going to give me $8500 for trade on my 01 Deuce , sell the SG for $19,999 out the door.

My payment goes up $40 a month and I start a new 72 month loan . . . . . . I'm really considering breaking my rules for this one

You'll love the SG. $40 a month is like a cup of coffee a day.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#41 ·
Sounds like ya found one calling your name...:)

#43 ·
To much money IMO for a SG unless it has the upgraded infotainment, abs, and security. The hot ticket right now is the SGS, dealers are having a tough time unloading SGs.

The 2014 SG has an MSRP of $20,399, so it is one model year old and they are asking nearly retail.

I would pass.

I paid $21,000 OTD for my 2014 Ultra with 2400 miles on it and 19 months of warranty remaining. I got nav, security, $500 in chrome and pipes.

#45 ·
NADA book is 21,865 - 16,615 high to low , MSRP is actually 20,909 as colors were more.

Granted it's not the best deal ever but the $500 in chrome you got I'm getting over $1000 in add ons

They main advantage for me is the trade for my 01 Deuce, $8500 this time of year is really good trade money for my bike , they were only going to give me $7500 this summer for it .

Bottom line is I'll owe $14760 including $1200 finance charge if I run the term of the loan for a 2014 SG.

I'm not dead set on it but there giving me a better deal than average from this dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.