Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it worth waiting for a Harley and starting out on a Jap bike then graduate to a Harley or what until next riding season and start out on a Harley even if its a sportster?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Just Ride
3,035 Posts

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Wait and save and get what you want the first time.
I wanted an HD years ago and could not afford it, bought a metric HD clone and regretted it from day one. Only a Harley is a Harley.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Are you some what experienced on a motorcycle?

Payin" cash or getting a loan?

If you're experienced and are getting a loan might as well get the Harley...my opinion anyway.

If I hadn't rode a bike much and didn't feel comfortable riding around on a bike I paid decent coin for no matter what brand, I'd get something cheap to get experienced with!

I rode all kinds of dirtbikes as a kid and even rode my uncles Honda 650 around before I had my D/L and I got a big sport bike right outta the gate...even though I thought I paid decent money for it and a loan its price was nothing compared to my Harleys.

I'm sure you would be fine what ever you choose.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Kind of depends whether you want to ride now or later. If you want to ride now get what you can afford. When you are ready and able to get your HD, sell the other and put the cash towards your new bike. It's all about the ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Definitely happy my first bike wasn't my harley. I am a believer in the start with a smaller bike and move up. I'm not saying a 250 or something tiny you'll grow out of in a year, but an 883 or 1200 sporty (if you HAVE to get a harley) are nice lighter bikes to start with.

·
King Frog
37 Posts
I waited. Started out on Metrics bought a Harley FXR in the 80s. Sold it in the 90's Back to metrics. Then sport tourers and now heavy a Metric cruiser. Looking at Harleys (and Victorys because of the "off the showroom floor power"). The heavy powerful 1900CC Yamaha Roadliner has spoiled me. Waiting to see the Indian before making a move. In the meantime I thoroughly enjoy my Yamaha and have for years.

Just get on two wheels and decide what you want. You can by a pretty strong metric cheap and save for the Harley of that is what you really want.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I started out looking for a late model ,low milage Goldwing...no such thing...it had 75,000 miles or they wanted a new price for it.....bought a newer lower milage Electra Glide for less money when I started out......;;;best fugging move I ever made....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
is it worth waiting for a Harley and starting out on a Jap bike then graduate to a Harley or what until next riding season and start out on a Harley even if its a sportster?

It really depends on your abilities and how you feel on a bigger bike.
I started off first ridding when I was very young, had my first motorcycle at the age of 14 going on 15 (125 endure). So I started out on smaller bikes and progressed my way up to larger bikes. I had the chance to buy a bad ass bigger bike when I turned 18, but decided I wasn't ready for that yet. Next step was a 400, 650 then the bad ass bike within 3 years. But again, it all depends on your abilities, riding style and situation....
Sorry I couldn't me more help!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I looked at Vulcans and VTXs for a few years and when it finally came time to buy, I got a used Electra Glide. I was 38 when I got it and the last bike I had before that was an XR75 I sold when I was 15. Am I a hot rod rider? No, but I don't think I'll be outgrowing this bike. I took it easy at first and rode by myself. Over the last few seasons, I've gained confidence with it.

The wife loves riding with me and I have about 6 or 8 friends that I ride with and I have no problem keeping up with them.

If I had it to to again, I'd do the same thing (except the part about not having a bike for 23 years:goob)

But as others have said, do what works for you to get your knees in the breeze.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd say get what you can for now if you want to ride this season, put money away for the Harley, shop around once you have the money saved.

I started riding again after a 24 year break and chose a Yamaha 500, it was a good bike to relearn all the things I had forgotten and a fun little bike to boot.
Put money away until I could purchase a new Harley, but did purchase a used HD sporty 883 but was not happy with it and turned around and sold it and put the money into the new Harley fund.
Now I have a real nice 2012 XL 1200 C/P and ride it as often as time/weather allows.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
If you have any access to a MSF course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) that provides the bike do that first! If you are brand new to riding you want ot get a feel for your comfort level before making a purchase. These course are required for us in the military but I got alot out of it even though I grew up riding dirt bikes and ATV. Riding around on their beaters will also give you a feel for the type of bike that fits you. Like Chief and IlWillie said too, depends on your expiriences and abilities.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
+1000 on the MSF basic rider course. Every new rider should take this.

After that, get what you can afford right now and start riding. As others have said, every day spent not owning a bike is a day wasted. And if someone's going to look down his nose at you for not having the "right" bike as your first one, well that's not someone you want to hang with anyway.

·
Screw it, let's ride
290 Posts
Just my opinion, but we only get a limited amount of riding seasons in our life, and a lost riding season is just that, lost. A summer with your behind in the saddle of a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki beats one sitting on your sofa dreaming of a Harley.

I was 28 when I was able to get a Harley, still have it 5 years later. I rode cheap Honda's for 8 years till I could afford it. My first street bike was a '82 Honda CB650, and I had a 2005 Shadow that I rode from '06-'08. When I sold it in '08, I got all but $500 of the original purchase price back.

Just my advice, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I stared out on a dozen other bikes, when I got my first Harley in 2000, I soon (very soon after) wished I had gotten a Harley sooner. Problem is that they wern't as advanced in 86 as they are now. Depending on your age, skill and finances, Waiting a year may help save more money so you can buy a Harley. I would get a used Dyna instead of a Sporty. I just met a guy last week with an 03 Dyna Super Glide with 8400 miles on it and he wanted 6K even. I almost bought it but came to my senses before I went through with the deal.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
You are going to loose value quicker with a Jap bike. So if your aim is a Harley, not matter the model, you are better off financially just going ahead and getting one.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you have any access to a MSF course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) that provides the bike do that first! If you are brand new to riding you want ot get a feel for your comfort level before making a purchase. These course are required for us in the military but I got alot out of it even though I grew up riding dirt bikes and ATV. Riding around on their beaters will also give you a feel for the type of bike that fits you. Like Chief and IlWillie said too, depends on your expiriences and abilities.
The course is a great idea, I would highly suggest one....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts