Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 streetglide with a 95 kit and 203 cams. I am taking it in to get the cam brgs upgraded and to replace the cam tensioners. I do not have the adjustable push rods, so they will have to pull the gas tank. Should I be maybe getting my heads done while they have gone that far or is the extra time and cost worth it? Do you get much of a hp increase by porting the heads? If it is only minimal I prob wont do it. But if there may be a big gain, I just may have it done. Looking for some expert advice from someone other than the shop that will work on it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
I'm going to say, you would probably not notice on a street bike. You might got a few tenths of a second if you are running it at the drags. You would have bragging rights though.

I would get S&S or Screaming Eagle heads before porting and polishing stock heads.

Consider going back with adjustable pushrods too, it can possible save you time someday in the future.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Ask the guy porting the heads, what kind of flow bench he has. If he doesn't have one, don't let him grind. The days of "portin' n polishin' are gone. It is a skill that has to be matched with the engine modifications, pipes, and riding style.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gtrman66 Maybe I should do the pushrods now, might pay for them in labor savings to pull the fuel tank and rocker covers. If the gain in power is not very noticeable, I prob wont do the heads.

·
Super Moderator
12,528 Posts
Thanks gtrman66 Maybe I should do the pushrods now, might pay for them in labor savings to pull the fuel tank and rocker covers. If the gain in power is not very noticeable, I prob wont do the heads.
Yep. Save you pennies and get some good heads later.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I'm certainly not a mechanic and there are people here that know way more than I do. An engine is a glorified air pump. The more air/fuel you bring in and the faster you get the exhaust out, the better it will run. When it comes to performance I've always felt a good set of heads are crucial. :2cents

·
Registered
36,947 Posts
I know when I had the heads done on my Evo, it made a big difference.
Was running an Andrews EV-35 (and later the EV-5) cam, stock 80" displacement and stock compression.

Lost some power on the lower end when I went to 1 3/4" drag pipes before I did the headwork.
Doing the headwork brought it all back and then some.

My TwinCam I did everything at once, so no before/after comparisons for headwork alone.

If you're doing anything more than just a simple bolt in cam, get headwork.

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
headwork is the key to any decent build,even our base headwork (our SERDI 1.900 street port) make a big difference,by all means get your heads worked

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess I better check into how much extra to get it done. They will be most of the way there when they pull the cam plate anyway.Especially since I do not have the adjustable push rods.The tank, rocker covers and one exhaust pipe will already be removed.Not much left other than the rear pipe and intake to pull the heads. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Guess I better check into how much extra to get it done. They will be most of the way there when they pull the cam plate anyway.Especially since I do not have the adjustable push rods.The tank, rocker covers and one exhaust pipe will already be removed.Not much left other than the rear pipe and intake to pull the heads. Thanks.
We have clients running our heads in both Grand Praire, and Edmonton.
Yes, head work will most certainly will enhance the overall power output.
We too offer a full-radius seat, 1.900"/1.610" Stage I Head........all the way up to a 2.020" Stage IV Head.
Scott

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took my bike in today as it was scheduled for the other work. The shop could not work in the head porting. He said he could do it in the fall. Not what I wanted to hear now that I decided I wanted to have it done. I may try to pull the heads myself, as it doesn't look like you need any special tools. I was an automotive and heavy duty wrench with tickets for quite a few years, so I think I can figure it out. Is there any where that does head exchanges or something like that that I could look into? Or other options I should look into?

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
we do exchanges,but youde still have to wait for our cores to be ported to your build.DONT get "off the shelf" ported heads.you want your porter to port heads for your build & riding style,anything else is a crap shoot

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Took my bike in today as it was scheduled for the other work. The shop could not work in the head porting. He said he could do it in the fall. Not what I wanted to hear now that I decided I wanted to have it done. I may try to pull the heads myself, as it doesn't look like you need any special tools. I was an automotive and heavy duty wrench with tickets for quite a few years, so I think I can figure it out. Is there any where that does head exchanges or something like that that I could look into? Or other options I should look into?
Any outfit that is good, is busy, and at this time of year that work can be attended to easily, but the point-and-click world we all live in, sometimes just does not fall into this catagory.
It can be a slow process, to go fast.:)
Scott

·
Maddog
394 Posts
+1

Any outfit that is good, is busy, and at this time of year that work can be attended to easily, but the point-and-click world we all live in, sometimes just does not fall into this catagory.
Scott
Unfortunately, that's how it is. This time of year, everyone wants
to get work done and they all want it now. It dosen't work that way.

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
Scott
100% agree`d,we tell this to customers all the time.pretty much any time of the year,if a shop aint busy,theres a reason their not busy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts