Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
That looks like it would shred any polishing rag you but on it like a cheese grater! Time to upgrade to a set of the new wheels of your choice.........

Reactions: JLR

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
Wheels are expensive so I'd give the buffing a try. I'd use the electric drill with a 6 or 8 inch buffing wheel and a couple different grits of 'OL # 7 compounds, course to fine. You can jack the wheel off the ground then put a wood wedge under it so it won't spin when you're buffing, move the wedge to rotate the wheel when needed.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2007 street bob that has been neglected. Can this stock wheel be buffed out or is it a goner? View attachment 811352
Small
had
I have a 2007 street bob that has been neglected. Can this stock wheel be buffed out or is it a goner? View attachment 811352
07 rd kg classic, chrome steel laced wheels. They would start pitting very easily, especially after wet. I continuously keep chrome polished and clean, lot of work but well worth it to me. Some small pits may heal, others that are deep will only get worse. New wheels time

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bronze wool and oil.
Yes, the pits are there to stay and no amount polish will repair.

You can make that wheel look very good though. Lightly rub with bronze wool. Steel wool is harder and will leave particulate behind that will rust. Bronze wool and a little oil will clean it right up.

All the brown will be gone. You'll be amazed when you see how small the pit is compared to the big rust blob.

Then you have to seal the surface with something. All of the wonder chemicals of today....being a cavemen, I've always resorted to Turtle Wax. I'm sure that there is something better.

Keeping them looking nice is ...uh.....therapeutic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts