Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1994 FLHR Road King.
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had the symptoms of an intake manifold leak on my `94 Road King. Took it down to the cylinders and the intake manifold was loose and rattled. Checked the gaskets and they looked old and dry, so bought new ones. Phenolic spacer with the rubber O-ring gasket looked fine, but the gasket in it was completely flattened. Replaced it with a new one.

Put the manifold back in and tightened it up and it was still as loose and rattle prone as before. WTH??

I took a video of it and put it on YT, so if you are familiar with the S&S intake manifolds and how they should fit, take a look please and let me know if this is right.

I don't want to put the carb back on if the manifold is still messed up.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,967 Posts
I'm not familiar with the S&S manifold, but maybe double check the flanges? Looks like S&S manifold uses different flanges than the stock manifold.

I took a screenshot. Stock intake flanges have the bolt holes exactly opposite each other right down the middle, S&S is offset. Not sure if there's other differences:
Product Font Circle Pattern Metal

·
nitro freak
1,290 Posts
there is no real diffrence between S&S & oem flanges.one is marked F (front) the other R (rear) its not rocket science at all getting a manifold on correctly,really not sure why your having such a big problem.maybe it would be a good idea to just bring it to a shop (it shouldnt be loose like that at all,your getting/using the wrong seals)

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
S&S manifolds come in different sizes depending on cylinder height and width between intake ports. The manifold in the vid is way loose. Once the flanges are tightened up it should be difficult to move the manifold around.
I'm thinking this particular manifold isn't intended for OEM heads. If there's a p/n on the manifold I'd go to the S&S website and check the number against the application chart.

·
Registered
1994 FLHR Road King.
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is no real diffrence between S&S & oem flanges.one is marked F (front) the other R (rear) its not rocket science at all getting a manifold on correctly,really not sure why your having such a big problem.maybe it would be a good idea to just bring it to a shop (it shouldnt be loose like that at all,your getting/using the wrong seals)
The gaskets I used are the exact same ones that came on the bike and the flanges are installed correctly and oriented properly. I've done tons of work on muscle cars including engine builds, head work, cam changes, etc.

It makes no sense why this bike is being so problematic.

·
Registered
1994 FLHR Road King.
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The part number on my manifold is 367X. It doesn't exist in the S&S system anymore. I sent their tech people an email to find out what is going on. Will probably end up buying a new manifold, lol.

·
Registered
1994 FLHR Road King.
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tech person replied and said I needed the 410 size manifold. I sent him a picture of the manifold that was on the bike when I bought it, and had been on there for years, and asked what it was for.

He said he didn't know, but it was probably for a Sportster.

Which makes no sense. How can a too small of manifold be installed on a bike for years and only now start leaking?

All I know is that now I have to spend another couple hundred dollars on my "immaculate" bike... :mad:

·
91 FXLR
113 Posts
I use S&S and they have the best Flanges & Seals/Gaskets. But they are for S&S Intakes Only. Harley Intakes are Smaller. There is a Number on your S&S Intake manifold. You need to Call S&S support, give them the Manifold Part Number plus the numbers of the Flanges and Seals you bought.

They will set you right.

I use the S&S 410 size Intake Manifold on my EVO's because it's the Biggest, Less space for movement and Leaks.

·
Registered
1994 FLHR Road King.
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use S&S and they have the best Flanges & Seals/Gaskets. But they are for S&S Intakes Only. Harley Intakes are Smaller. There is a Number on your S&S Intake manifold. You need to Call S&S support, give them the Manifold Part Number plus the numbers of the Flanges and Seals you bought.

They will set you right.

I use the S&S 410 size Intake Manifold on my EVO's because it's the Biggest, Less space for movement and Leaks.
The part number on my manifold is 367X. It doesn't exist in the S&S system anymore. I sent their tech people an email to find out what is going on. Will probably end up buying a new manifold, lol.

Tech person replied and said I needed the 410 size manifold. I sent him a picture of the manifold that was on the bike when I bought it, and had been on there for years, and asked what it was for.

He said he didn't know, but it was probably for a Sportster.

Which makes no sense. How can a too small of manifold be installed on a bike for years and only now start leaking?

All I know is that now I have to spend another couple hundred dollars on my "immaculate" bike... :mad:

·
nitro freak
1,290 Posts
i agree,theres no reason to buy another manifold.S&S makes great parts,but trying to get a answer from them on anything is next to impossible.ive been doing this shit for 40 years,send your manifold & flanges.ill get you set up right

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
I looked in an old S&S catalog I have, 1998 I think. S&S had dozens of different part number intake manifolds ! The part numbers coincided with cylinder measurements. Also their P/Ns were like xx-xxxx.

I have a feeling when the OP gets the correct manifold on his bike it's going to run so much better.

Reactions: Kainam and PNWKing

·
Registered
1994 FLHR Road King.
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Manifold and flanges and gaskets pulled and shipped via UPS to Florida. Should get there in a week from Monday according to the UPS guy.

Will be interesting to see what a professional has to say upon inspection.

Did the old guy I bought it from actually run a too small intake manifold with a leak for years??

·
Retired citizen
25,593 Posts
Manifold and flanges and gaskets pulled and shipped via UPS to Florida. Should get there in a week from Monday according to the UPS guy.

Will be interesting to see what a professional has to say upon inspection.

Did the old guy I bought it from actually run a too small intake manifold with a leak for years??
I'm assuming there's a S&S carb on your bike. What size are the jets or jet numbers ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts