Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
482 Posts
Remember, we were supposed to be able to just sit in our cars and have it operate and get you where you wanted to go automatically by now. That's still in the future. Doubt we'll see anything like that for real in our life times.

·
Banned
853 Posts
Remember, we were supposed to be able to just sit in our cars and have it operate and get you where you wanted to go automatically by now. That's still in the future. Doubt we'll see anything like that for real in our life times.
They actually have them and they work. Google developed it and has been perfecting it for a few years already.

The only thing holding it up are bureaucratic things like the legal issues; who's liable when there's an accident? The software company? The "operator", even though they wouldn't actually be "operating"? The car manufacturer? The hwy sensor distributor? The city roads department? You get the idea.

Anyway, they're actually working on writing the laws as we speak.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
482 Posts
They actually have them and they work. Google developed it and has been perfecting it for a few years already.

The only thing holding it up are bureaucratic things like the legal issues; who's liable when there's an accident? The software company? The "operator", even though they wouldn't actually be "operating"? The car manufacturer? The hwy sensor distributor? The city roads department? You get the idea.

I know they are "almost" there. We was supposed to be using them in the 80's though. Point is, even if they got a working proto-type, it will be years if ever before you see one for real.

·
Union Ironworker
185 Posts
I see that flying machine and can't stop thinking what would happen if one of the blades let loose....

·
Registered
36,935 Posts

Google didn't develop the self driving car.

They are one of many still working on the concept that has it's origins as far back as the 1970's.... long before there was such a thing as Google.

DARPA has an annual competition since 2004 for autonomous vehicles in which Google has been one of many competitors.
Home

·
Banned
853 Posts
My point is they have a working prototype and are basically just ironing out the infrastructure and legal wrinkles (and a few other basics too, I'm sure).

I know Google didn't invent the idea, but they have a working model that they recently showed off to the governor here in CA. Why must you ALWAYS contradict me, Kainam? Even when you actually agree with me but just misconstrue what I'm trying to say.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts