Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
My leather bags on my softail are not 100% flat. I just fill them up and go for long rides.
:flag:
They do look worse than mine.
Bill:ride

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Yes I think you should. It is a common problem. I was going to mention it from the pics but I didnt want to take away from her moment in the spotlight.
I think the problem is that the side wall is to flimsy so it allows the bag to sag. The Softtail Heritage owners really have it bad but I see renforcment kits for them. Harley now has an improved version of your bag. By the way those are some of the nicest saddlebags around in my book.
Heres a link to checkout.

http://www.gotsaggybags.com/

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed, thanks for that link. While they do not make an insert system for the Road King it gives me the idea that I can make something myself.

I just got off the phone with the dealership service manager. He said he will keep an eye on it with me and if it gets out of hand they can do something about it. He did however, say that the newest bags will ripple more and that if they are dressed properly as they age tightening will occur and they will smooth out. He said that without the slack built in the seams wear too quickly with natural tightening. It was his opinion that those that are allowed to age without proper dressing tend to stay more so saggy as the leather tightens because is not supple enough to let the tension transmit through.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Keep on the dealer. For the price you paid for those they should stand behind them.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does his thinking sound reasonable plausible to you?
The concept makes sense and I can see it in play here, I'm just not sure.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Lil... I haven't seen too many RKC's with lids in that condition. Certainly have with the Heritage but not the RKC. I would keep following with the dealership. Perhaps they can be warranty replaced. When I owned a Heritage saw a tip from someone to place 99 cent partially inflated beach balls inside the bags when not using them. You know, I did this, and after almost five years of owning the FLSTC the bags still looked almost new. No sagging/rippled lids. Not a tip for everyone but it worked for me.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lil... I haven't seen too many RKC's with lids in that condition. Certainly have with the Heritage but not the RKC. I would keep following with the dealership. Perhaps they can be warranty replaced. When I owned a Heritage saw a tip from someone to place 99 cent partially inflated beach balls inside the bags when not using them. You know, I did this, and after almost five years of owning the FLSTC the bags still looked almost new. No sagging/rippled lids. Not a tip for everyone but it worked for me.
Steve,
I got the sense that it is not an RKC problem when the website Ed recommended didn't even offer the kit for this motorcycle. They provide for Heritage, Duece, Fat Boy and Springer.
If HD won't do anything about, I'm not beyond the beach ball fix. I do not like the way it looks now, never mind after years of sagging! The image of a saggy Queen is just too much for one woman to handle. :eek:

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
I'm not positive about this.........but isn't saddle bag lid-warping the first sign of mental instability, leading to eventaul insanity????? :eek:

(I'd biotch. As stated: It's a known issue and for as much as that bike cost........)

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Does his thinking sound reasonable plausible to you?
The concept makes sense and I can see it in play here, I'm just not sure.
Who cares if it is plausable or even reasonable. You spent $20.000 for a motorcycle. The saddle bags should last more than 6 months.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I thought the sag was a feature of soft bags.

Here is the Harley parts catalog for your bags.. or are they your bags? $900 ?

Road King® Classic Saddlebag Kit - The perfect combination of style and fuction. The bag is formed from a leather-covered plastic composite that holds its shape and features embossed ...

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the sag was a feature of soft bags.

Here is the Harley parts catalog for your bags.. or are they your bags? $900 ?

Road King® Classic Saddlebag Kit - The perfect combination of style and fuction. The bag is formed from a leather-covered plastic composite that holds its shape and features embossed ...
That is them!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
That is them!
I had the same basic bag on my Softail, although without all the biker accoutrements i.e. fringe and buckles. I religiously oiled the leather and had no issues. I don't think that is what made the difference, I think your bags are defective.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Riding in the car on the way to work this morning I began to think about how rigid the top of the bag is and have come to the conclusion that there is no reason why the leather should be rippling in that manner.

I will be speaking with the dealership again.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts