Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an HJC Symax and then went to a Shoei TZ-R. The TZ-R seems a bit quieter. I would love one even quieter, if of course the fit worked.

(I posted this next door and am interested in what you have to say.)

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Yes. I hate it. I bought one of the cheapo Harley FF helmets for rainy days and winter. With the vents closed or open it doesn't matter. I would swear that my 3/4 face Fulmer helmet with it's flip down shield is quieter.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I have a flip up FF. Great if you wear glasses like me but they are much noisier than a standard FF so scratch them off the list.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Shoei RF1000 here. Has worked best for me, but no helmet is "quiet". Would mention a SLIK silk liner (I use one all the time) on the head before slipping the helmet on helps, as does a cold weather head sock when the temps dip. I now use ear plugs as well unless on a short or slow road ride.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I had an HJC Symax and then went to a Shoei TZ-R. The TZ-R seems a bit quieter. I would love one even quieter, if of course the fit worked.
Every FF helmet I have ever worn was noisy until I got the Shoei RF-1000 that I have now. I bought it a bit snug and it works almost as good as ear plugs. The noise of course is the wind blowing by the bottom of the helmet where it is loose around your neck.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
On a full-face helmet, more ventilation = more noise. My Suomy Spec1-R is by far the lightest FF I've tried, but it is also the best ventilated and therefore teh noisiest (venting is important when you're on the track where the surface temps can be +120).

earplugs help alot. In the winter, I pull out my backup Shoei (it's a medium) and can get a navy watch cap under it - nice and toasty.

Long time ago I had a real nice modular Bombardier that was good in the cold (had a face mask that kept the condensation away but somehow I don't think that a snomobile helmet is the safest bet against asphalt.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,181 Posts
The noise of course is the wind blowing by the bottom of the helmet where it is loose against your shoulders
Fixed it for Mike.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,181 Posts
Free million dollar invention idea, the Bose Noise cancelling helmet.

All it takes is a mic, to capture in real-time the noise in the ear recess in your helmet, and a small speaker or several small speakers around the perimeter, with the right DSP to invert/reverse the noise and deliver it's properly amplified reverse image, we should be able to have a whisper quiet helmet without earplugs.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I call Bullsh*t.........when you get a neck, let us know. :D
If I wear a black turtleneck it looks like someone put an o-ring around my neck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts