Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on my V&H Twin Slash Round slip-ons last night and now... I can't stop smiling while riding. Smiling so much my face hurts. Smiled in my sleep while dreaming about it. Face muscles sore, Advil not helping. And how am I supposed to look cool while riding around with this sh**-eating grin on my face the whole time?! Please help! :D

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1370700557.781480.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1370700573.089439.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Bob, you're not the first to suffer from this affliction. Something of this nature just takes time. Often, it takes months or even years. Unfortunately, many never fully recover, and the face muscles are permanently locked in a sh*t-eating grin. Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My wife just read these posts and her mouth went the opposite way and said Advil won't help. Apparently spending more money on the bike wasn't on her agenda for today.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Put on my V&H Twin Slash Round slip-ons last night and now... I can't stop smiling while riding. Smiling so much my face hurts. Smiled in my sleep while dreaming about it. Face muscles sore, Advil not helping. And how am I supposed to look cool while riding around with this sh**-eating grin on my face the whole time?! Please help! :D

View attachment 80041

View attachment 80049

Get married, that will surely cure you of eternal happiness.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I rode all day today hoping the issue would work itself out, but still no luck. In fact, if I'm really honest with myself I'd have to say it's actually gotten worse... I can't even feel my face after a full day of ear-to-ear grins. I'll try riding all day again tomorrow - if that doesn't do the trick I'm out of ideas.

Oh, and while fueling up this evening I overheard a young girl ask, "daddy, why is that man smiling so big? is he mentally challenged?" The dad replied, "no sweetie, he's just suffering from OSAMPS" (Overly Stoked About My Pipes Syndrome). Lord help me.

Labradaddy, already married and so far that's not helping either... Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I first got my bike I wasn't too sure how I felt the about volume and growl of the thunder header exhaust that was installed by the previous owner. Its grown on me to the point where I too am having this issue as well. Its kind of hard to look badass and have a huge grin at the same time lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I've REALLY done it. Thought I had it figured out; if I want to stop smiling so much to give my face a rest, I just need to stop riding for an afternoon. Simple enough. But what am I supposed to do on a beautiful sunny afternoon if I'm not riding and I have a new bike parked in the garage? Sit inside and watch TV? I think not. I washed it, detailed it, buffed it, waxed it, polished the chrome and armor-all'd the bags… Now the thing is GLEAMING and I'm smiling more than I was BEFORE! Ah well, I guess I'll be "Smiley Bob" from here on out :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is killing me. I want new pipes so bad, but I have significant hearing loss already in one ear (from flying in the military, I assume), and I sure hate to make it worse. I've done searches for articles on how much louder the pipes really are, but I haven't found anything definite. I don't really want loud -- I just want a nice grumble.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is killing me. I want new pipes so bad, but I have significant hearing loss already in one ear (from flying in the military, I assume), and I sure hate to make it worse. I've done searches for articles on how much louder the pipes really are, but I haven't found anything definite. I don't really want loud -- I just want a nice grumble.
I think these might be exactly what you're looking for. They aren't nearly loud enough for the "need to set off car alarms three blocks away" crowd; they just add a nice low rumble. Makes it, in my opinion, how a stock Harley should sound. They make a really nice, low-end rumble at idle and when you get on it it'll definitely turn heads. But it's not going to set any SPL records.

I'm an audio engineer - make my living using my ears. My last bike had V&H Shortshots and even with earplugs in I'd have ringing in my ears after a long ride. No desire to ever have something that loud again. These, on the other hand, are perfection.

Check out this video - gives a good idea of what they sound like:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Cali_Bob,

Thanks for the video and info. It's greatly appreciated.

So is it your opinion that pipes like these, whether it is at idle or cruising speeds, aren't necessarily loud but just have a good rumble to them?

They do sound great and seem like exactly the kind of sound I'm looking for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts