Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave63 your post on knocking the center out of the baffle on my pipes worked great!I removed my SE II mufflers and used a 3' piece of pipe to knock the piece of steel out,I cant believe it was that easy!My bike now sounds like a Harley,I've already pissed off the neighboors,Thanks Dave!

·
Boooya!!!
2,767 Posts
Comment from neighbors will red

"YES...THANKS DAVE!"

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Dave63 your post on knocking the center out of the baffle on my pipes worked great!I removed my SE II mufflers and used a 3' piece of pipe to knock the piece of steel out,I cant believe it was that easy!My bike now sounds like a Harley,I've already pissed off the neighboors,Thanks Dave!
Well our goal in life is to piss off the neighbors.:rofl::rofl:

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Tell your neighbors that in all fairness, seeing your Harley drive up the street with ubber quiet exhaust, is like living next to Pamela Anderson, and she's always wearing a Parka outside, by her pool....

Even in the summer.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don't worry about the neighbors, they probably have barking dogs. Mine had one that would wake me up every night when the guy came home from work. (second shift) I talked with him, he ignored me so I took action. Every morning at 5:30 when I got up to go to work I would set my Triumph dirt bike as close to his bedroom window as possible and fire it up. I would let it idle for 10 minutes while I ate breakfast. It took one week of this and he got rid of the dog.:)

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
this is awesome ! please share more ...How is your Bike running now ? does it run exactly the same just louder ? is it a good loud ? more details ! please :nod

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only rode the bike about 2 mi yesterday,as the roads around here are very greasy but the bike seems to be running the same,I only knocked out part of the baffel,if you take off your mufflers and look into them you cant see thru,I took a block of 4x4 stood the muffler on end and stuck a 1"OD iron pipe about 3' long in there and hammered the center out,it's only about the size of a quarter,8-9 raps w/3lb sledge hammer,flipped the muffler did the same and it was out the bike sounds great and does feel more powerful but that could be in my head,doing it on the block of wood kept the pipes from getting scratched,only took about an hour to R&R the mufflers,do it you'll be happy:nod

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
okay ... I took off the slip on and it looks like the baffle is not completely blocked off !

there is like a tab looking think sticking up ...

what do I do now ?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Using a solid object, like a steel pipe, 3/4" socket extension, etc, you want to knock that piece of tab "open" in the exact direction that we're looking. Like opening the "dppr" the rest of the way.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,203 Posts
That tab isn't quite the complete obstruction that it appears, it's a diverter, makes some or most of the gas go the long way around, diverts it into the outer chamber, which you can see is open on the opposite side of the pipe from the "spoon" diverter, so some of the exhaust rattles around in the chamber and comes out the perforated pipe, much just goes around and comes out the hole on the other side.

A person who wasn't into making the mufflers a lot louder could just push that baffle up half way, it would be a way to fine tune the muffler, with the baffle closed all the way you've got pretty close to straight pipes, with some access to an expansion chamber on the side.

If anybody wants to part with a set of mufflers like those in Dave's post, I'd sure like to have them, I see them on ebay but they're sometimes a bit pricey for experimentation.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
A person who wasn't into making the mufflers a lot louder could just push that baffle up half way, it would be a way to fine tune the muffler, with the baffle closed all the way you've got pretty close to straight pipes, with some access to an expansion chamber on the side.

Surprisingly, Nathan, even with that tab up, exhaust if forced into those holes at an obvious, slower rate, due to exhaust velocity.

Even with that tab pushed up, the only time the exhaust would be loud, is when you're "Getting on it", and not at idle, or moderate driving just based on the restrictive diameter of the baffle's passage.

However, inline with what you said, I also agree that one should "experiment" a little with half-way, before "all the way", in regards to the baffling, incase they don't like it all the way open.

Good point.

·
Murdured HD
133 Posts
wow ... lots to take in !

so what do all recommend I do ?
should I pound on the table until it comes strait down ? will i still maintain my SEII performance ?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
wow ... lots to take in !

so what do all recommend I do ?
should I pound on the table until it comes strait down ? will i still maintain my SEII performance ?
Once you bend it all the way, it's difficult, if not impossible to bend it back. (can be done, but difficult)

If it were me.....I'd go all the way. Only because I know what to expect and what the end result will be. I've done it before...

It's your bike and I don't know what chances you're willing to take with it.

So...................

(Disclaimer.......yadda, yadda, yadda, ......not responsible.....lawyer.....sue.....not......)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
those pipes are Screaming Eagles not SE II I believe ,my pipes were completely blocked off,you couldn't see thru them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts