Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commented on a post in "03 Ultra Stalling" to figure out my issue but it's not the same problem being I'm carbed and the Ultra is EFI. So here goes...

2005 carbed 88". I have a cough when it's cold outside. I can be doing 65mph down the road and it coughs, it's a little unnerving because if I happened to be doing something like scratching my ars with my clutch hand at the time I could lose it. So I've always felt like I have to choke more than I should have to or it's just cold blooded but there is an issue there. Runs great in the heat. So far...

SCHMIDTYS said to check intake seals, no leaks there. So I'm thinking about popping the cap off the A/F mixture screw to see where it was at from the factory and try to richen it up a little.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
You may want to take apart the carb and give it a thorough cleaning and inspection.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Another thing to check is the pilot jet. They tend to plug up causing a lean condition. Remove the float bowl to get to the jet.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
+2 on cleaning carburetor. Adjusting the idle screw isn't going to make any difference going down the road at 65!

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
While I admit I haven't been inside a harley carb I have been inside a lot of carbs. That sounds like a bad/busted accelerator pump. I suggest you look it up to see if that carb has one and if it does, change it out. On my Road star is was a couple bucks for the parts. Solved the problem right away. Or give me more info on the bike and I'll look it up.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
+3 Taking the carb down and cleaning. You'll enjoy better performance in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts