Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From WEAR, Chanel 3 news:

Updated: Thursday, May 2 2013, 06:51 PM CDT
TALLAHASSEE (AP) -- Florida lawmakers have passed a statewide ban on texting while driving.

The Senate passed a bill (SB 52) on Thursday by 39-1. Republican Sen. Joe Negron of Stuart was the only no vote.

The House approved it earlier this week but added a provision allowing police to use drivers' mobile phone records against them only when texting causes a crash resulting in death or personal injury. That change required it to come back to the Senate.

Bill sponsor Sen. Nancy Detert said she decided "not to let the perfect get in the way of the possible" and agreed to the late amendment.

The bill now goes to Gov. Rick Scott's desk. Thirty-nine states and the District of Columbia already have texting-while driving ban.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Now, it they'd just expand that to prohibit talking on the cell phone while driving, then there might be some safety on the road. But the state senators and reps are probably the worst offenders, so that will never happen.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Damn... and I was just getting pretty good at texting while riding the bike... Have to admit it can get a little hairy smoking a cig, drinking coffee and texting, but it can be done....

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
One step in the right direction. I have to agree with Egg, they need to add talking while driving.

VA has been talking about making it a primary offense, hope THAT passes, then they can be stopped for it. Right now it pretty much goes un-enforced so people continue to do it and all the police can do is give them the finger wave nono.gif

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
The problem with making it illegal to talk on the phone while driving, is that a lot of police departments use cell phones to avoid braodcasting things over the radio. Then you would have a bunch of people angry that they were getting ticketed for doing the same thing the cops were doing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Then you would have a bunch of people angry that they were getting ticketed for doing the same thing the cops were doing.
Since when did any government agency play by the same rules that we have to go by(read U.S. Congress)?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I know they made it illegal to operate a cell phone in Bigrigs. $2700 fine for doing so yet, I see it everyday! My Iphone has Siri so I don't have to touch it at all. Also with all of the crap going on outside of my rig I don't need the hassle of texting at the same time! I do love the fact that I have some LOUD air horns on my Rig... I have seen phone fly all over the inside of cages once I pull that air horn cord. Once on a Florida state trooper! Yes he pulled me over and yes he was pi33ed but he let me go with a "Verbal warning" LOL

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have near the problem with talking as I do texting. The bluetooth lets me talk without touching the phone.
It is a secondary ticket. So was no seat belt when it was first inacted.

I can't imagine driving an 18 wheeler and trying to text. Really scary thought.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Texting accidents have actually gone up where these laws have gone into affect due to people trying to hide the fact they are texting and are now even more distracted.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
We've had it here for a while now. It just became a primary offense, where they can pull you over for it now. It used to be a secondary, where they pulled you over for something else mainly, but could issue a ticket for texting if they saw you doing it before they pulled you over.

My iPhone 5 has a speak-to-text button, so if I'm driving I don't have to type, which I find to be a good thing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
It's called Distracted driving here. Includes everything under the sun.

Eating,yapping on a cell,texting etc.... The problem is, the fine's too low at $250.00. The crack head texters don't seem to care bout the fine.

I've also seen the dummies trying to hide it by keeping it down on their lap... Light turns green....................nothing.......they don't even move........look over and sure enough, a Fuggin Texter !.....

Drives me insane....

·
Señor Member
19,587 Posts
I hate most laws. I don't want people texting and driving, but I just don't trust the government to protect me from that.

Once you have 10 Commandments and a Bill of Rights, government can shut up, IMHO.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
I'm convinced that if they arrested all of the people texting out here on I-10, 3 of us would have the whole slab to ourselves.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I hate most laws. I don't want people texting and driving, but I just don't trust the government to protect me from that.

Once you have 10 Commandments and a Bill of Rights, government can shut up, IMHO.
I'm with ya brother!!!
Geez..... don't we have enough laws and rules to follow???
Watch what you hope for, if you want big brother to tell you how to live then you will get more goverment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts