Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this saying kinda scares the s*@t out of me! For someone about to embark on this new journey, I don't wanna hear about laying it down or crashing! Lol

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I here ya......Myself not drooping or crashing a bike yet I will spend no time worrying about it and when someone says that to you I would let it go in one ear and out the other..All we need to do is ride safe and what ever happens deal with it....Life is a gamble man..Have fun.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Here's how that works...

I grew up riding dirt bikes on a ranch. One day, a neighborhood friend was at the ranch and he'd never ridden before, but wanted to learn.

So, being a very intelligent guy, I figured it wouldn't be hard for him to learn. And, for the most part, I was right. I put him on a Honda Mini Trail 70 and I was on an XR80. After riding around the house for a bit, we took a tour of the ranch. He seemed to take to it with no problem.

On the back side of the ranch, we came to an S-curve that went through a fence. On the other side of the fence, about 20 yards past and to the right and 5 yards off the road was a HUGE cactus, about the size of a car.

I was following him and just after passing the fence, he turned and I kid you not, he rode off the road and straight into that big ol' prickly pear!!

The lesson here is this: Don't look where you DON'T want to ride.

The same applies to your Mind's Eye. Keep it trained on safe riding and don't let it lead you to a self-fulfilling prophecy. In other words, if you spend your time worrying about that bad wreck while riding, sooner or later, you'll experience it.

When you ride, the idea of crashing should NOT be on your manifest. If it is, it may well happen. Instead, replace it with "Fun, safe ride."

Ride safely. Don't be a speed fool and keep your mind on the task. it's like flying and there just ain't much, if any, margin for error.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Keeping that thought of what "could" happen in the back of your mind helps you to maintain a healthy respect for the dangers and risks associated to riding a motorcycle.

Just an opinion.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Keeping that thought of what "could" happen in the back of your mind helps you to maintain a healthy respect for the dangers and risks associated to riding a motorcycle.

Just an opinion.
I see your point. But it's like this... The glass is half empty, or half full. :laugh

I prefer to approach my riding by keeping the thought in the back of my mind as to what WILL NOT happen. I ride with vigilance and awareness to make sure it doesn't.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,064 Posts
None of us get in a car thinking it's gonna have a crash on the way to the shopping mall. We don't get in a boat thinking it's going to sink. When I get on the bike, it's enjoy the ride. With all of them, obey the rules, do the things you know are right and don't do the things you know are wrong.

·
Registered
951 Posts
As I said................Its just another prospective and a different opinion than many it seems. Course I am used to having a different opinion than most do on a variety of topics.

I never said I dwelt on an accident nor let that thought interfere with the joy I get from riding.

Just stated that in my opinion keeping the thought of what "could" happen in the back of your mind might help you to maintain a more healthy respect for the inherent dangers associated to riding a bike.

And I do stand behind the thought of once you lose that respect of the road and your surroundings and get "too" comfortable you are asking for trouble.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,064 Posts
And I do stand behind the thought of once you lose that respect of the road and your surroundings and get "too" comfortable you are asking for trouble.
Yep, definitely keep that respect, pay attention, be alert.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts

Just an opinion.
+1 gotta remember to respect the ride, it can be dangerous but as long as you are focused, you should be ok. As soon as you get cocky and decide your superman, thats when you screw up big time. Shiny side up and safe riding to ya buddy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
As I said................Its just another prospective and a different opinion than many it seems. Course I am used to having a different opinion than most do on a variety of topics.

I never said I dwelt on an accident nor let that thought interfere with the joy I get from riding.

Just stated that in my opinion keeping the thought of what "could" happen in the back of your mind might help you to maintain a more healthy respect for the inherent dangers associated to riding a bike.

Oh, I certainly agree with ya! I was just offering an alternative angle on the same idea. :thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,075 Posts
Well, I understand how you might not want to hear that phrase, but its possible. I view it as a heads up, and if a biker is wiling to share how he/she did go down, I want to know. For the simple reason of not repeating a mistake. Its not fun going down, I don't get on the bike looking to have that happen, but it keeps me sharp. Shiny side up, ride safe at all times.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
People should have the common cents chit all ready in there head from driving a car and life...I no I could die next ride and all ..Myself ..Rideing in town use to give me a frig-en head ace stressing out trying to make it without getting run over or whatever ...So what I was saying in a f/up way is I cant ride for chit if Im going to worry ...I no I could not raced cars for 15 years and done as well as I did if I was thinking about getting hurt...Im trying to relax and be one grass hopper.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Experience, good judgement, maturity, and most importantly, expecting the other guy to do something foolish, are all important points. Experience will come with hours logged. Good judgement and maturity are traits you should have already developed driving your car. And I can tell you that, while I'm not any speed demon in my cage, I ride even a bit slower on my bike when I am in the metro/urban areas (save for maybe enjoying an onramp now and then). I don't really exceed the speed limit much till I'm out in the more rural areas.

I'm 65 now, got my first Harley 4 years ago at age 61, prior to that I had a couple of Hondas and a Triumph when I was in my 20's and 30's. When I think back on my riding style back then and some of the bonehead stunts I pulled I realize I am very lucky to still be above ground. So, I believe I have finally developed the necessary "maturity" and hope you either already have it or develop it very soon.

Ride safe so you can ride longer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Roger that Louisville, I'm 40 now and know my own mortality. I wish I would have pulled the trigger earlier on this desire, but it may be best that I waited. I'm just gonna start slow and develop the skills needed to be a safe rider. I'll start, as some guys advised, with an inexpensive metric before I put my big boy pants on and dive into a harley. As bad as I've always wanted a hog, I think it'll be worth the wait! Stay safe fellas!

·
Banned
447 Posts
Any story I've ever heard about a motorcycle mishap has always included the narrative where the rider was doing something "ill advised" (stupid), right before it all came apart.

I check out the other hawgs at the shop, none of them have "road rash" on them. Can't say that about the "crotch rockets."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts