Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hit on my 2009 FLHP! Coming down North Avenue in Atlanta, a guy coming the other way decided to make a U-turn in the middle of the street to try to get to a parking space. Swore he didn't see me. Miraculously, he just clipped my left rear luggage rack. The back of my bike bounced about 3' side ways, but somehow, through the grace of God, I managed to keep the handlebars pointed straight ahead and brought the bike under control without going down. I called the police, the other driver was cooperative, and he was charged with the accident. I was going about 30 mph, I don't know how fast he was going, but obviously not too fast since he was trying to pull a U-turn. I couldn't see any damage to my bike, although his bumper was scraped and slightly dented. I was able to ride the bike about 6 miles back to my home, but things just did not feel right. I've had it towed to my HD dealer for a safety inspection. They say it's okay and nothing is bent out of shape. I know the bike is tough, but is it that tough? My question is, are there deeper issues I should be looking into? How do the shocks take such a sideways whack and not get damaged? The transmission felt like it was slipping, is that paranoia on my part or could I really have an issue due to the hit? I really want to make sure nothing mechanical or structural is missed that will cause a major failure or repair further down the road. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give about what I should ask of the dealer in a full inspection of the bike. Thanks, NJG

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,486 Posts
First question: Did you stop at the site and call the cops? Is there a police report? do you have the name and ID info of the guy who hit you? If not, you is fooked as far as getting insurance to pay for anything out of kilter.
If you can see/feel anything different, then there probably is. Have the dealer/indy do a thorough inspection. Get it fixed. I'm not one for risking riding any bike that I know is possibly going to take a dump on me.

·
Banned
71 Posts
At the very least your luggage rack will be damaged . You need to have the whole bike looked over carefully .

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
The rear luggage rack is securely mounted to the rear frame upper struts and on the '09 models, they eliminated the connecting bar between those struts that the earlier models had.

If you took a hit on the luggage rack hard enough to knock you off line, there may be a good chance that the rear frame section got tweaked slightly out of alignment. That may be why things feel "different."

I would have a qualified dealer perform a comprehensive frame/swingarm alignment check and give you paperwork to certify the results. Do this before you sign any release of liability.

--

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Silverback said.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. I did file a police report, and the other driver was charged with the accident. I've been in touch with his insurance company and they are being cooperative and acknowledge his liability.

My concerns now are about my dealership really taking this seriously. They said they have done a "safety inspection" and have test ridden the bike. They say it is fine (other than a cracked tail light which they will replace). But when I ask have they specifically checked the alignment of the frame and rear wheel, they just keep saying, we've done a complete safety inspection and you are fine. I like the idea of having them certify the alignment is correct and getting them on record in case something pops up in the future. I'll let y'all know what they say when I ask them to do that.

Thanks,
NJG

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I did file a police report, and the other driver was charged with the accident. I've been in touch with his insurance company and they are being cooperative and acknowledge his liability.

My concerns now are about my dealership really taking this seriously. They said they have done a "safety inspection" and have test ridden the bike. They say it is fine (other than a cracked tail light which they will replace). But when I ask have they specifically checked the alignment of the frame and rear wheel, they just keep saying, we've done a complete safety inspection and you are fine. I like the idea of having them certify the alignment is correct and getting them on record in case something pops up in the future. I'll let y'all know what they say when I ask them to do that.

Thanks,
NJG

There has to be more than one dealer in the Atlanta area. Get a second opinion.

--

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Yep what sleepy said. Tell them his insurance is paying for it and you may peak their interest.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Did you give him an ass whoopin on the spot or are you waiting till the bike is fixed?
Glad to hear you are OK.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
What dealer did you take it to? Take it to another dealer for a second opinion. There are plenty in the ATL area.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe I am too cynical, but it seems like it would take a very foolish business to certify in writing that a vehicle is 100% okay. They have no incentive to do so and every reason not to. Their lawyers have probably dictated the only answer they give in a situation like this, where nothing is obvious.

It's a difficult spot for you, and hope you can get peace of mind or a repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts