Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a place down there in Sponsors, but the threads are older than dyno doo. Are their lifts as good as they appear in the video? Secondly, are they worth the $400. I see similar lifts from Sears, but I think I read the J&S when fully extended is a few inches higher.

Thanks,

Ronnie

·
Banned
71 Posts
I know there's a place down there in Sponsors, but the threads are older than dyno doo. Are their lifts as good as they appear in the video? Secondly, are they worth the $400. I see similar lifts from Sears, but I think I read the J&S when fully extended is a few inches higher.

Thanks,

Ronnie
For that same money, you could get a table lift on sale. So no, not worth it .

:coffee:

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For that same money, you could get a table lift on sale. So no, not worth it .

I considered that, but I need something with a smaller footprint (have two scoots in the third bay of my garage). Any suggestions?

·
Banned
71 Posts
I considered that, but I need something with a smaller footprint (have two scoots in the third bay of my garage). Any suggestions?
The Sears lift or the Harbor Freight lift ( same china lift) works for under 100 bucks on sale ( always use a coupon too)

I use the Harbor one myself, neighbor has the Sears.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
could use the table lift as a parking spot too. that way u dont lose much space.
if i had a permanet house /garage i would have a table lift and a jack. but when everything has to be portable in a moments notice, well it just wont work.
side note(im good at moving a three bedroom house in under 4 hrs) my helpers dont like me too much but I get her done !!

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
could use the table lift as a parking spot too. that way u dont lose much space.
I put a chock on mine, and do just that........

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Easy peasy. Table lift and chock from HF. $325.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts

Thanks,

Ronnie
I just purchased the J&S lift about six weeks ago. It is a quality piece of machinery. I had an older lift, don't recall the brand but it didn't compare. I think there's a video on YouTube compares the Pitbull, HF lift, and the J&S. I don't regret spending the extra $ for the J&S.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I have had one for about 2 years now and it works great, very stable.
Had a cheap Cycle Gear lift that was very flimsy and could not be trusted. You get what you pay for.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy peasy. Table lift and chock from HF. $325.
Just checked. HF price is $429 for the table lift and $40 for the chock. You must know somebody. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Harbor freight has there sales, watch for them and you will save $$ if that's what you want. Think they are $299. when on sale. I myself have the pit Bull and very happy with it. If I had more garage space tho there would be a lift table in there. Lot of people say they are happy with the HF lift table so they can't be all that bad.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt. :blahblah:

Let me preface this with; patience and craigslist is your friend.

I will say the aluminum Craftman is tough to beat. I had one before my table lift and got another one when I sold my table lift. They are really really good. I did tranny replacments and top end jobs on these and they work fine.

The steel versions rock more. Especially with heavy FLHT style bikes. They scare me.

I had a Direct-Lift Pro Cycle Drop Tail. It was FREAKING AWESOME. The big drawback was changing both tires at once became a nightmare. I had to get creative with lag bolted 4x4's and moving my scissor jack around. It also took up too much room and I wanted a second bike again. Something had to give.

When I got the Dyna, the Aluminum Craftsman didn't work with the poorly engineered dorsal fin of the TC FXD's (I hope that engineer works at Ural now). I got a Sears metal jack on sale for $75 and followed a youtube video to modify it for FXD use. It was wobbly, but it worked.

Now I had the 2 Crafstman jacks and the storage area that it required was painful.

I found a J&S on craigslist and got it for $350 used (and one popped up on craigslist the very next day for $250, but 100 miles away). With shipping on a new one I figure I still saved ~$200 bucks. I sold both jacks the next day and got $150 back into my pocket.

I have used the J&S on both bikes. It is solid as a rock. There is no rocking. My only complaints, BUY the handle and the oil pan and it takes about 400 foot pumps to raise the bike.

I have had all manner of jacks and one table lift (did I mention I cried when I sold it?) and the J&S is the way to go. If you have the room, get a table lift, but keep a jack for tire changes!

Yes, the J&S costs more than the others, but IMHO it is completely worth it. I only wish I had not wasted so much time and money to come to this conclusion. Hopefully I spare someone some of the pain I have been thru.

YMMV.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Just checked. HF price is $429 for the table lift and $40 for the chock. You must know somebody. :)
Nooooooo!!! You get the $299 coupon and the chock is $26 with a coupon. Web page is full pricem

·
Registered
273 Posts
i got the HF lift with the coupon for $299 and also put the chock on love it.they run the table all the time for 299 sign up for emails and dont forget the $19 stool on wheels so you can wheel around the bike when working or cleaning it.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
10% HOG discount at my dealer puts the J&S at $360. Had it for a few weeks now and love it. No tie downs needed. Gets it up about 18" off the floor I think. Locks in 4 or 5 positions. What's the saying, buy once cry once.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Kind of hard to move the bike around when on those though. With the J&S just grab the bike and roll it on the lift where ever you need to in the garage. You still have to work on the floor with those.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
The J&S is just as good in person as it is in person. Sears and HF are a wobbly mess you'll only use when you have to. The J&S works so well you'll use it in a pinch and at every washing/polishing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts