Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed my second order Tue. night., it just arrived. It def. looks Mack Daddy. I'll read the instructions, and put it together. Happy to have it, thanks guys for the recommendation. :thumb

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
Let us know your opinion now that you've had both to compare.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's def. a larger, better built, more stable unit. The powder coat finish looks durable. It raises the bike higher than the HF. The pedal seems to have a good bit of play in it and the release valve is kinda hard to get to with a bad back. I haven't tried the oil defection pan yet. But over all, I'd say it's a quality piece and glad to have it. It's most def. an upgrade from the HF. :thumb

·
Super Moderator
12,570 Posts
Release is my only complaint so far. Should have made it a knob on the end of a flexible shaft.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My initial assessment was premature. When I went to lower it the first time just now, no pressure. Will not pump up to release the locks. The only difference in the predicament I'm in now and the last time I used my HF lift is, instead of having a $10,000, 800+lb. motorcycle stuck in the air on a four yr.old ,$99.00 lift, I'm now stuck on a brand new, $425.00n lift! Once I calm down, I'll try to use my car jack like I did before. Maybe I should have checked the fluid level first. I thought it would have come with correct amount in it! :mad

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
dumb question, but did you close the bleed valve first?

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it was closed. Called J&S, they said it was air in the system. While still in locked position, I popped the fill plug out. A burst of air escaped and it went back to working. Crisis solved for the time being. Now I have faith issues.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,315 Posts
Nawww, I bet you wont have anymore problems. The air thing on a new system is reasonable.

Should be fine now that it's on a flat unmoving surface and you've bled it and topped it off.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
J.S. failures..........

Old Coot & Cisco
Yeah I suspect like so many others.........once their "better mousetrap" catches on they are in it to make as many as fast as they can. So......you have to work on it to get it to function correctly........they already have your money though huh? As far as the release valve/knob...........yes it is a very poor design,H.F.'s release is far better. I know what you mean about 'trusting it' After my new J.S. dropped my bike I'll never fully trust it again either. I'm just glad my buddy was there and my scoot was not damaged. You would think a company selling a nearly $500.00 lift [delivered] would take a bit more pride in their product and make sure it was Perfect when delivered.
Colt.45

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still think it's a well built lift. Bottle jack, not so sure. I was p.o.'ed when my bike got stuck in the air, the first time I used it. But with a quick call to J&S, simple solution, crisis averted. I'm thinking/hoping it was just one of those things. It's super sturdy when locked out. Built big enough, you can just slide it in next to the cross member and it's balanced. Nice durable, looking, powder coat finish. I'll know more about it after I've used it a while. But I'm pretty sure it's a keeper. :)

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I went to use this lift today, and guess what? Would NOT raise. Called J&S and all I got was voice mail. I know the bottle jack has a 2yr. war., but considering shipping, time and general hassle, it was not what I expected from this lift. My advice to any body considering buying one of these lifts is DON'T DO IT !!!

·
Banned
71 Posts
I went to use this lift today, and guess what? Would NOT raise. Called J&S and all I got was voice mail. MY latest assessment is it's a $500.00 piece of junk that won't even make a good boat anchor. My advice to any body considering buying one of these lifts is DON'T DO IT !!!
Is the bottle jack full of oil ????

When in the down position, pull plug and fill until oil runs out the hole . :)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Bummer, I'd still think for that kind of money they would bust their a** to make sure it was perfect when shipped.
Colt.45

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called J&S on Mon.(Memorial Day), Steve returned my call first thing Tue. morning. After I explained my problem he humbly and sincerely apologized. He said they would send another jack that day. Jack was delivered Fri., have used it a couple of times since then and all seems well. I was quick to criticize the co., but now to be fair, I must give credit to their customer service. They never questioned me about it or asked me to return old bottle jack. Hopefully it will last my lifetime, as I can't do without one.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts