Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got $200 in Visa gift cards and was thinking of either purchasing a leather jacket or a motorcycle jack (J&S or Pitbull). Any thoughts on the matter?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
If your like the rest of us, It's starting to get cold in Chi town. If you're done riding for the year I wold get the jack. If not then get a jacket but $2c isn't enough the get one.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
near term I think the jacket is a better spend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go To JC Penny and get some long underwear. Take rest of the money and buy the J&S Jack. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
Hopefully you will do more riding than wrenching,

Therefore, get the jacket.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
If you plan on doing your own wrenching, get the jack, there are a handful of things that make it almost a necessity.

If not, then get a good jacket with armor in the shoulders,elbows and at least a pad in the back. I really like the triex (I'm sure that's spelled wrong) jacket I got from leather up, it's not cool looking, but it kicks a$$ at keeping me warm. And for $200 you could get the jacket and pants.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hmmmmm, tough call, but if that avatar is your bike, I'd say go with the jack. Once you've cleaned those damned wheels, spokes and whitewalls with the bike on a jack, you'll never want to clean them with the bike on the ground again !

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm an extremist, if $200 is enough to get you in to a badass leather like a Schott then I say get the jacket. If not then get the jack. Protective riding gear doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg (no pun intended). My non HD leather was on sale for $150 after Christmas 10 years ago. I only wear it when it gets really cool outside. You already have the mesh jacket, much more useful than a leather most of the year if you ask me. The jack will be great anytime you need it for maintenance or cleaning.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I'd get all the riding gear first and everything else second.
If you're just a weekend rider, get a subscription to American Iron, and save the money until you know what you want without question.

·
On the loose
8,724 Posts
I'm happy with my Sears red jack for $99 , it's great for cleaning , changing fluids , storing your bike and even wrenching on it. Now you got a $100 towards a jacket.

·
Administrator
13,476 Posts
The people on this forum rock.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,113 Posts
Hmmmmm, tough call, but if that avatar is your bike, I'd say go with the jack. Once you've cleaned those damned wheels, spokes and whitewalls with the bike on a jack, you'll never want to clean them with the bike on the ground again !
This. So many times this. Trust me.....I know.

I realize that I am late to this party, but I feel bad that I missed it so I am giving my opinion anyway.

And that was awesome of Doug to send you a jacket. I love this place.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
You need both. I don't see how a mesh jacket will keep you warm enough in Chicago land. Maybe with enough layers underneath though. (liner, Tshirt, long underwear, sweat shirt)

The J&S seems to be the best built, least likely to spill the bike. That's the one I want. But you'll need about 650 for both

1 - 20 of 33 Posts