Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to look for a good (not the best) leather jacket. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

·
Poser Member # 99
17,556 Posts
Leather up.com

I got my coat 89.00

chaps 45.00

And Free shipping over 89.00 purchase

I'm happy the coat is heavy with zip out liner and

the guy that sews my patchs on couldn't belive I only payed 89.00
he added the 2 patches

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,778 Posts
If you will use the search function on this forum you will find several threads with lots of posts on this subject :thumb.

Check Craigslist and your local pawn shops. You can find a good deal on American made leather if you look for it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Schott makes some fine leather.
Fox Creek, Vanson and Brooks as well, watch the sales and E-Bay, Craigs list etc.
My son just scored a barely used Schott Perfecto for $250 heck of deal. You have to watch though the deals do not last long when they get listed.

I have a couple of Schotts that were bought new in the mid 80's, I wont need a new riding leather in my lifetime.

They are not cheap if buying new by any means but they will last a very long time.

·
Banned
853 Posts
+1 on all the above suggestions. Also check CycleGear. They make a decent jacket for the price. You're looking at the right time of year also, the end of winter, the off season so check out every place mentioned for any sales they may be having. Also you may want to consider a " mid weather" jacket also. It will have perforations in the leather at the appropriate places to let some air in for days/ nights that are too warm for a regular leather jacket while still giving you the protection you want.
Just my 2¢.
Peace

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Without thowing me off a cliff... :) how many folks make a point of making sure the jacket is American made??? Again, not trying to start anything, it is out of curisiody that I ask.....
And again, not trying to be smart.... what are good sources for an american made jacket?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Without thowing me off a cliff... :) how many folks make a point of making sure the jacket is American made??? Again, not trying to start anything, it is out of curisiody that I ask.....
And again, not trying to be smart.... what are good sources for an american made jacket?

This all depends on the person buddy. I buy american made when I want quality. Same reason I bought a Harley not a Honda. We need to buy american any chance we get to support this country especially during these times. Now, ur situation, american leather- it doesn't get much better, go for it

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
853 Posts
Not sure where to buy an American made leather. I've got 3 Harley Davidson jackets all have "made in China" on the tags. A recent documentary revealed 90% of the blue jeans made in the world are made in.....China. China Blue is the doc. While being a patriotic and noble gesture to buy American it would be hard to get fully dressed w/o patronizing China sad to say. That's one reason I hardly ever shop at Walmart. If you check a lot of Harley add ons are made in China unfortunately.
This appears to be the new normal.
I doubt you can buy a vehicle of any make that is not comprised of some parts manufactured outside the U.S.

Just so I can pass on the information, I assume you all have leathers being bikers, what brand of American leathers do you buy or do you just wear textile or some other material jacket(s)?

·
Earth-bound Misfit
624 Posts
Got a new Fox Creek jacket last year. It's classic, solid, and very well made. Heavy weight hide, massive zippers, brass snaps, this thing will out live me for sure. And it's American made...may not be important to some folks, but it was important to me. Hell, some of the Chinese made H-D jackets cost what I spent on my Fox Creek jacket. Not cheap, but in this case, I feel that I got what I payed for.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Got a new Fox Creek jacket last year. It's classic, solid, and very well made. Heavy weight hide, massive zippers, brass snaps, this thing will out live me for sure. And it's American made...may not be important to some folks, but it was important to me. Hell, some of the Chinese made H-D jackets cost what I spent on my Fox Creek jacket. Not cheap, but in this case, I feel that I got what I payed for.
I have a Fox Creek also. Not cheap. I payed $500 for it, but it is the best made article of clothing I have ever owned. It was worth every penny.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
853 Posts
Bradahj stated he wanted a leather jkt but basically is on a budget. I doubt he's gonna find an American made jkt cheap. The Leatherup jkts are a subsidiary of Xelement ( made in China). That's why they are inexpensive. Just because its made in China also doesn't necessarily mean it is of poor quality. Levis are made there. Most Wranglers made in Mexico. Harley chrome in China etc. Harley aftermarket grips China. Harley air shocks Japan. On and on.
The new normal is here.
Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
38,959 Posts

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I bought a Castle Streetwear leather jacket last year and I like it. It's very heavy leather and armored up with a zip out liner. You can find the coat on eBay for under $200 but I got mine for $139 on sale.

Attachments

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,778 Posts
Bradahj stated he wanted a leather jkt but basically is on a budget. I doubt he's gonna find an American made jkt cheap. The Leatherup jkts are a subsidiary of Xelement ( made in China). That's why they are inexpensive. Just because its made in China also doesn't necessarily mean it is of poor quality.
Believe me, I understand being on a budget. That is why I recommend being patient and searching Craiglist and Pawn Shops. So many "Shiny Riders" buy the bike,all of the accessories, the leathers, etc. only to find out they don't enjoy riding, they don't have time to ride, their wife won't let them ride...the excuses go on forever. So, they sell the bike cheap, and pawn the leathers.

My jacket and chaps are HD branded, made in USA, because I got lucky and found them in a pawn shop. I bought them and 2 FXRG textile jackets for my wife and me all for $400.

Usually HD has one shipment a year of made in USA leathers in their stores, and they are quite expensive.

I didn't get quite so lucky for my wife's leathers. Hers are both Leatherup, because we couldn't find any others at the time.

If you don't have to have them right now, take your time and you can find a good set whether they be foreign or domestic for a good price.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ditto on Craigslist, you can find some really good deals on used leather. As others have said, Leatherup.com is good. You can also look at LeatherBound.com

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
We have a company here in Portland OR that makes some great leather products. Langlitz Leathers.

Check a jap bike stores or Wilson leathers or what others have mentioned. I learned not to buy a "Harley" logo jacket because they jack up the prices too much. Plus if you happen to hop on another make of bike, you won't be wearing a Harley jacket while riding a BMW. Guilty.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Someone previously mentioned CycleGear. I bought my leather jacket from them in either late 2010 or maybe it was 2011. $179, rack said "on sale" don't know if it really was or not but seems to be good quality, zip out liner, heavy and very warm.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts