Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
I love my Yellow Sears jack (Sears also makes a red jack). Does what I need it to do and easily. It's aluminum and only weighs 42 lbs. I was just looking at them in a Sears brochure recently, think they now sell for $289 which is a bunch more than I paid for mine about 5 or so years ago.

And when I was shopping to buy mine it was noticeably cheaper by buying it online so I went to my Sears store and told the manager I would buy it from him if he matched the online price. He did and an hour later I was using it on my bike.

·
Registered
2013 Ultra LTD , 2014 RoadKing , 2007 Sportster
11 Posts
I love my Yellow Sears jack (Sears also makes a red jack). Does what I need it to do and easily. It's aluminum and only weighs 42 lbs. I was just looking at them in a Sears brochure recently, think they now sell for $289 which is a bunch more than I paid for mine about 5 or so years ago.

And when I was shopping to buy mine it was noticeably cheaper by buying it online so I went to my Sears store and told the manager I would buy it from him if he matched the online price. He did and an hour later I was using it on my bike.
I have a yellow Sears MC jack as well . Works great . Lifts my Ultra LTD with no effort

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you only need one to hold the bike upright, just get one of the wide scissor jacks … they can lift the bike enough to get either wheel off the ground and work well when doing maintenance like primary oil change or belt adjustments.

Furniture Table Product Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
My buddy Eric, has the Big Red from Sears and i have the Harbor Freight (Silver and black) one:
Both will lift and hold the bike well. The biggest differences are
The HF wheels are not very round (but just how fast are you going to roll this thing?) It doesn't like to move with the bike on it. A good thing imo.
The Big Red stores well beneath the workbench. No way to stand on end. (Balance). The long handle stays on the jack and it's always in the way. ALWAYS!

I pull the long handle, raise the lift about 3/4 of its travel, to store the HF one on its end. (hyd end up). This takes up less room and wont tip or roll in my crowded garage.

The HUGE advantage to the HF is:
It is a whole lot easier to lift and lower the bike solo... Especially lowering:
With Big Red, lowering while solo: Put the jiffy stand in the down position, then lower the jack slowly and hope everything goes well. (We have dropped erics Sporty 3 times and his SGS once) off big red. (every time, it's been while lowering). Two of the Sporty drops, i contribute to learning how to use jack blocks under a sporty. No blocks are required under the FL frame.
With the HF, I sit on the bike, jiffy stand up, and i can reach the down lever on the jack with my right heel. i just bump that lever lightly and repeat, the jack settles down and puts my Ultra back on the floor nice and gentle.

The Sportys require some blocking with either jack, (That exhaust is always in the way).

I cringe every time, we have to use the jack at Erics!

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone going to harbor freight look at that one and check out one of the other ones just want to hold bike upright to do basic mait. maybe lift one wheel at time to clean
THANKS AGAIN FOR ADVICE

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
I have a jack I bought from a Craigslist ad. It was a Kolbalt from Lowes, new in the box. The exact same jack as Harbor Freight sells. I use it for maintenance and cleaning. Jack does get in the way of drain plugs on occasion.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
2007 Ultra Classic (Sophie) vivid black
192 Posts
Mine is harbor freight, the aluminum frame blue one. Lifts my Electra glide easily. Even used it to pick up one side of my wife's Saturn. For the price I am pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
check out harbor freight tomorrow close one is like 40 miles away hazards of living in boondocks, great for bike riding though no traffic lights here or sidewalks

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Same! I like that the long handle is removable, it makes getting around the bike so much easier! Especially in a cramped space (like my garage).

·
American
29,782 Posts
Same! I like that the long handle is removable, it makes getting around the bike so much easier! Especially in a cramped space (like my garage).
Also while storing bike on it for winter. The handle removed takes up less space.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Also while storing bike on it for winter. The handle removed takes up less space.
Makes sense!
Although the longest i ever left the bike up, was two days. When i did the bar swap. Even then I made sure to have safety blocks supporting it. (I have spent my lifetime troubleshooting and fixing hydraulic systems.) I will NOT trust a single O ring and a valve to support my bike! Those "locking bars" are only for looks. imho.

I just stack some 2x4 cut-offs between the floor and the cross brace. Then slowly settle the weight onto the wood. Just so the hyd is not doing the work.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
I had a jack fail once while the bike was in the air. The only smart thing I did was to leave the kick stand down. That could have been much worse.

·
American
29,782 Posts
I had a jack fail once while the bike was in the air. The only smart thing I did was to leave the kick stand down. That could have been much worse.

Mine was much worse..... $800 front fender from the HD factory! No longer have that jack/lift.

• Wow
Reactions: RJ64
1 - 20 of 21 Posts