Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished attempting to repair the starter on my 2002 Road King Classi 95 CC. I was going to replace the clutch assembly but had to abort as the kit I got from Harley does not fit the starter in the bike. I aborted and just repaired the Solenoid. Then I reinstalled the starter in the bike. When attempting to reinstall the Jackshaft bolt I cannot get it to screw in all the way. It has about 1/4" left before it tightens up. I am afraid to screw it any further for fear I will strip the thing.
The washers with tangs on them are properly positioned and are inserted in the corresponding recesses but I jut can not seem to get the Jackshaft to screw all the way in. The manual calls for 7-9 Ft/lbs torque which isn't much but It feels like it is already exceeds that even though It is not all the way in.
'
The starter was replaced many moons ago by a Harley dealer in Houston while I was on the road. They had to travel quite a ways to find one and I do not know if the starter is the OEM one and what year it is supposed to fit but it certainly is not compatible with the stareter clutch repair kit I got (Kit # 31516-94A). (Bearings are larger and the manual calls for removing a Brush assembly which my starter does not have.). So I aborted the project.
'
Is the Jackstaff supposed to screw in real Firm or has something gotten screwed? HELP..

·
Retired citizen
22,510 Posts
That sounds like you installed the starter shaft coupler on backwards. There's a snap ring inside the coupler that will prevent it from going all the way onto the starter output shaft if installed backwards.
The starter overrun clutch for your year bike p/n 31663-90 (old number).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Schmidty,
When I tried to disassemble the clutch I removed those two long screws and attempted to separate the casings but they would not separate. I stopped and began looking at subsequent instructions from the Service manual and noted the lack of a brush assembly which is where I stopped and put things back together. That is the extent of my disassembly other that replacing the parts in the starter repair kit 31604-91A. The clutch part number ( 31516-94A ) I received is the one documented in the parts manual for my 2002 FLHRCI.
I am going to let my dealer sort it out.
Thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts