Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Thunder Down Under
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

This is a thread about the rebuilding of my Shovel which started life as a 1973 FLH 1200 and made it's way to Australia.

Here is a couple of photos of my bike when we first uncovered it from storage...

stay tuned as we are about to start tearing it down, re working the frame for comfort...I am not taking this bike back to stock rarther back to a good looking scooter done my way, I do hope you enjoy this journey as much I will doing it.

Jay...:ride

Attachments

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Looks like a pretty cool project you have there. :nod
I love to watch these build threads.:drool

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Should be a great longish term project

·
Registered
39,442 Posts
Signing up for updates. :D

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Wow.....original (time period) Bates seat, P-pad, 2 piece handlebars, and an S&S Super-G carb.

I'd get that running, clean it up, fix he leaky seals from sitting and leave it period correct, just like it is and ride it.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Looking forward to following this thread, JayD. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
39,442 Posts
Super D carb. :D

·
kickstand grinder
1,549 Posts
Should be a great longish term project - "fluffster"

Na, he should rush it in a week like the Boyd coddington hot rod show, and miss alot and fug everything up!:rollin

Just kidding- take your time do it right:thumbsup

·
Thunder Down Under
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow.....original (time period) Bates seat, P-pad, 2 piece handlebars, and an S&S Super-G carb.

I'd get that running, clean it up, fix he leaky seals from sitting and leave it period correct, just like it is and ride it.
Super D carb. :D
The S&S is a series B...after I installed this carb I had a couple of experiences where my bike nearly accelerated out from under me...I just managed to hang on with my finger tips till I re gained control...:nod...the mrs alway knew cause I walked through the door white as a ghost...:laugh ..I swore everytime never to do it again then some clown in a worked car would give me the bird and dump his clutch and I'd open my scooter up and I was back there again, car a spec in my rear view mirror and me battling for control while my bike was like a crazy stallion trying to buck off it's rider...all I can say to that now ..is "bugger that" memories...lol.. you know now I'm older I dont know who the biggest clown was, him or me for letting them spoil my day riding with a near death experience ???

·
Thunder Down Under
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It begins...

Hi Folks,
Everything has to start some where, we have made an efficient amount of space and workshop room as seen in my last post of my hello from down under thread... racking, work bench and space Now the rebuild begins...

off comes the tanks...

to expose the magnificent look of an exposed "V Twin"...I can see why the boys mount up Sporty tanks to showcase the engine..:drool.

a rear view...

just a taste of whats to come...enjoy.

Attachments

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Jay you get that thing running and I win the Texas lotto.. I will come down there and buy you a beer....keep up the good work....:thumbsup

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Hell....I will do better than that...If I win the Texas lotto, I will come down there and buy you a brand new bike ...there is always hope..I only missed it by 6 numbers last week..keep up the good work bro....:nod

·
Thunder Down Under
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
parts start to roll in...

Hey,
We are starting to source parts needed for the conversion back to comfort...swingarm. $50 off fleabay...:) I have been so torn about which way to go with my frame...it is the original frame that has had a weld on hardtail welded on.

I would make up my mind to convert back to conventional swingarm...and a few days later I would start thinking about retaining the hardtail look and change my mind back to softail swingarm this lasted for a couple weeks.

I was checking out the deals on fleabay and came across this swingarm for $50 which I brought off a bloke in Hobart...the farthest place south in Australia had it couriered to our house in Tas then flown to our other house in Sydney all up $76

I'm not counting the cost of the flight up for the swingarm as it was chucked in with extra luggage and was convenient to do so. So a lucky find on fleabay helped me make up my mind...:think now do I cut off the hardtail on my old frame, or do I build another frame from the ground up ?? decisions...decisions ?? :think on another note this forum rocks ! full of intelligent helpful people, bikers who help out the next man and care about their rides while looking after their loved ones.

remember folks when you can weld and fabricate...you are the creator :think ...of physical things...more parts to be here soon.

Take care all and "Keep your tyres on the tar"

Jay:ride

Attachments

·
Thunder Down Under
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The CV arrives...

I scored this CV off fleabay aswell for $137 to my front door... another step closer...:)

you might say yourself ? "he has a S&S series B to put on the engine" ? fact of the matter is, my bike either started frist kick or 31st kick when it started first kick it was great and the other well...this was the only place I could fault this carby as it was like a bolt on blower when I gave it some stick. I remember running an SU Eliminator on my bike and it started near all the time first kick if not then within three and now its all about comfort and easy starting.

Attachments

·
Registered
39,442 Posts
I think that CV would be better suited for normal day to day use. :thumb

If it were a Super E, I would have not bothered looking to change. :nod

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Are you going to preserve (or replicate) the original tank badges? I'm digging them big time. I'd hate to see them go.

This is going to be very fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts