Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dawn comes to darn early on your day off, and the chill of 17 degrees added to the feeling of just staying in bed. Sure is warm here and with the wife on one side and the dog on the other I was pretty comfortable. Turn on the speed channel and watch a few bike shows to get in the mood. It is 21 outside right now, and even the dog looks at me funny when I take the cover off the bike. My wife and I have both lived in upper Michigan and have endured many winter in the U.P., but I was a lot younger then and this is the coldest it has been in Georgia in two years. Dress in layers, dress in layers, it keeps going through my mind, good old boy scout training. And soon I’m working up a sweat just getting dressed, guess that will show the cold just who is boss. I rode the bike out and the wife climbs in behind me, glad to have the human shield of warmth to my backside. And once underway as long as I am stopped at the light I am fine, lol, really if I keep it under 75 mph it isn’t so bad, it is now 35. We stop for a few items and look and feel like walking snowmen going into the store, people asked aren’t you cold, no not at all, yea right what the heck do you think. Roll all the windows down in that car of yours and turn the ac on high, now ride down the road and ask that same question. We arrive at the starting point of our ride with the temp climbing to close to 40 now I am starting to warm, but of course I am in the coffee room and on my second cup. One of our riders is already there and here come a few more. What a motley crew we are, great bunch of guys that braved the cold morning, some even in electric suits, keeps them rpm’s up at the red lights, lol. But a great cross-section of bikers and of honest gentleman, now which one was going to pay me to say that? None of us can stand to stay inside for too long, with all the layers we have on, so as we stand out front, it is still the same old, same old, V-rod riders here and air-heads here, time and the weather may change but people, well I think you get the point. We head out back for a group shot and off to Hooter’s for some well deserved food and drink. As usual with any group of bike riders the war stories start as soon as we hit the table and it makes for a wonderful afternoon of memories and rides some we love to remember and some we would like to forget. But everything must come to an end and the wife and I have to get back home to her terminally ill dad. As we all say our goodbyes for a moment in time we are all connected, held together by a bond, a common element, the love of two wheels under our feet and the wind in our face. Just how lucky we all are to be able to have this freedom. Thanks to all who braved the cold morning, and I look forward to see you all again maybe in KC. And above all else thanks to you and yours Max, for all you do. I know we may laugh about the cold, but there are more serious conditions else wares that don’t take the day off, and know not cold or heat, night or day, that don’t go away with the sunrise. Jeannie you are in our thoughts and prayers, we lived this day for you and Max.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Turtleman, thank you for the post!!! Would you believe that on the Texas ride...we took off at 10:30 AM to a temp of 37 degrees?!?! I think we made it to about 49/50 degrees on the ride for about 45 minutes...then the clouds came back, and them temp went back down again!!!

Cold or not cold...it was more than worth the trip!!! What an awesome site, and time, and gathering it was across the US!!!

·
Liquid Cooled Member
92 Posts
Turtleman, thank you for the post!!! Would you believe that on the Texas ride...we took off at 10:30 AM to a temp of 37 degrees?!?! I think we made it to about 49/50 degrees on the ride for about 45 minutes...then the clouds came back, and them temp went back down again!!!

Cold or not cold...it was more than worth the trip!!! What an awesome site, and time, and gathering it was across the US!!!

WAA WAA...

When I left my house here in MD, it was 21 degrees!!! It got to 40 as we were heading home...

But it was for a GREAT cause, and I loved every minute of it. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
WAA WAA...

When I left my house here in MD, it was 21 degrees!!! It got to 40 as we were heading home...

But it was for a GREAT cause, and I loved every minute of it. :)
AHEM...we're talking TEXAS here!!! In fact, it got up to 73 here today (what the crap is up with that?!?! Its DECEMBER!!!) Anyway, it was darn right COLD that day, of all days!!! But it was a day I'll never forget!!!
And it's almost my birthday, and I'll cry if I want too...cry if I want too :)

·
Liquid Cooled Member
92 Posts
AHEM...we're talking TEXAS here!!! In fact, it got up to 73 here today (what the crap is up with that?!?! Its DECEMBER!!!) Anyway, it was darn right COLD that day, of all days!!! But it was a day I'll never forget!!!
And it's almost my birthday, and I'll cry if I want too...cry if I want too :)
hahaha 73???? WOW! Must be nice.... I can't complain too much though, because it got up to 60 here today... And we are supposed to have a beautiful weekend.... Perfect weekend for riding!! :ride

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
It's supposed to be 80° here in the D/FW area tomorrow then on Sunday for the TOY RUN it's supposed to be 76°. With the weather cooperating, I'll bet there'll be 50,000 bikes in attendance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't you just love this early x-mas present weather, leave the malls and the shopping behind and head out to that favorite ride of yours and let the sun warm them bones. Going to be around 70 here today and heading to the mountains for a little late season dragon action.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice writeup turtleman57. We had a good ride in Austin out riding through the hill country, didn't we abryson, TexRod, at least we all survived.

Dave

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice writeup turtleman57. We had a good ride in Austin out riding through the hill country, didn't we abryson, TexRod, at least we all survived.

Dave
Yes we did!!!! I can't wait to get back out there in the spring!!! Which could come very soon if the weather keeps up like this!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts