Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 01 Heritage and getting a lot of backfire popping when decelerating. I have stock air filter and housing, slip on Screamin Eagle slip ons with no baffles. I pulled the plugs and WOW! super lean....what jet kit you think I will need?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Attachments

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Also, check the bolts holding your pipes to the exhaust at the engine, make sure they aren't loose or one is missing.. this will cause a lot of popping at decel.

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
With no baffles, I suspect you'll always have some decel popping no matter how much fuel you add.

Roll-off smoothly and at a bit lower rpm to minimize.

·
Señor Member
19,586 Posts
Maybe a little lean, but not bad. Though, I'm no wrench. I'd definitely add some fuel, I just wouldn't expect that popping to go away entirely. Improve, sure, go completely away, I don't think so.

I don't mind a little popping.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Those pugs look fine! Deceleration popping is your slow jet being too small. Try a size larger, but if its still popping with a 48 then check for air leaks etc. plus what adjustment have you got on your idle screw (the one under that cap that gets drilled out)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm assuming what ever is stock from Harley. The Carb looks untouched. The air fuel mixture screw still has the factory plug over it.

Stock jetting is 45/190. For just the free flow exhaust 48/195. When you change the breather take the plug out of the mixture screw and jump the main to 200 then start at 2 turns out with the idle mixture. Not my opinion but my experience :biking:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stock jetting is 45/190. For just the free flow exhaust 48/195. When you change the breather take the plug out of the mixture screw and jump the main to 200 then start at 2 turns out with the idle mixture. Not my opinion but my experience :biking:
Did what you said...."a lot " better!! And runs stronger. Thank-you!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did what you said...."a lot " better!! And runs stronger. Thank-you!

Glad it worked out. I've modified my share of CV carbs. I turned one down two weeks ago. I'm burned out on doing them. I don't charge them for labor just parts if they help. I've had a couple drop their bike off then make an excuse to leave, F that I just won't do anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts