Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I learned how to get vids without having to link to that site. Here is a jet powered motorcycle. If I posted this on 1130cc.com Frank would probably see it and build one!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
If that's the bike I think it is, it's not a jet, it's a turbine.
The engine turns the wheel, it does not run by thrust,
and it costs about $300,000.
Jay Leno has one.

My son is a turbine engine mechanic, and used to re-build turbine engines,
his first comment on seeing that bike when it was first going around was,
you would NOT want to be straddling that turbine if it ever came apart,
and if you wrecked it, it WOULD come apart.

Now THIS is a jet-
( from what I read the car is supposedly street legal, being front wheel drive, the owner did this w/o affecting the ability to get the car inspected, he just takes the jet out to get the car inspected.)

Attachments

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it is not a jet as in the thrust is the major contributor of motive power. I imagine it is a turbine engine from an APU or something. They have a shaft hooked to the spool and it goes through a reduction gear. Turbo-prop airplane or turbine helicopters use the same principle. Most people know what a jet is, not necessarily a turbine and there is actually very little difference in them.

I guess you would have trouble convincing someone that that New Beetle is a "chick car" eh?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
To distinguish the difference between the use of a jet and the use of a turbine
people should think of jet plane VS turbine powered 70 ton M1 Abrams tank.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Read an interview once with Jay Leno about his jet bike. It is turbine driven, the engine coming from a jet helicopter. Takes awhile to spin up... but once going hold on tight! He learned early on to warn drivers behind him to not get too close... especially at stop lights. Guess some serious heat can shoot out the back, warping the front plastic on cars!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read an interview once with Jay Leno about his jet bike. It is turbine driven, the engine coming from a jet helicopter. Takes awhile to spin up... but once going hold on tight! He learned early on to warn drivers behind him to not get too close... especially at stop lights. Guess some serious heat can shoot out the back, warping the front plastic on cars!
Here is a picture of some generic turbine powered APU. These are most commonly used for these projects as they come with a reduction gear to turn the turbines 20,000+ rpm into something usable.

The turbine engine differs from a true "jet" engine as mentioned by Nate only by the fact that instead of the hot gasses coming from the area from the hot-section back being optomized for vector thrust it is just diffused and sent overboard. Some turbine engines in turbo-prop aircraft to provide a small amount of thrust but it is usually so low it wont even move the aircraft.

Most APU turbines are only a couple of inches in diameter. But still they would produce a prodigious amount of power and HUGE amounts of torque due to all the rotating mass. But boy do they eat fuel at sea level! Fun stuff!! :p

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And above and below?
Turbine engines, by the physics involved, are much more fuel efficient at altitudes from 20,000 and up. Half of your atmosphere, by weight and somewhat directly then by density, is below 18,000 feet. Turbines can be developed to run better at sea level, but it is really a game of making the best of a bad situation. The tanks that Nate mentioned use HUGE amounts of fuel. But the engine package is so light that they can carry more fuel in the tank, and as there is nothing to be gained by keeping he engine idling like a diesel tank, they can turn it on and off basically at whim.

Below sea level they seem to have a problem extracting the O2 component needed for compustion from the surrounding environment.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that I know of. Submarines basic unit of propulsion is an electric motor. This motor runs a reduction gear that outputs to the shaft. The electric motor is fed by a huge battery section which is charge by a diesel engine in the case of the non-nuclear boats or by the reactor in nuclear powered boats.

I'm sure there is a bubble-head that will come on here and either affirm or straighten me out.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,188 Posts
I believe in some WWII subs there were internal combustion engines that were used when submerged, when silent running wasn't required, they used hydrogen peroxide instead of outside air. I never quite understood if that was just another mode the diesel engines switched over to, or was there some other system ?

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I saw Leno's bike on the speed channel, I want one :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts