Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed lately that my 2012 SG seems to lean over further than my buddies bikes when sitting on the jiffy stand / kick stand. Is there something wrong with it, do they start bending/stretching out? It's just been kinda bothering me lately and I guess I should check it out in case something is about to break or fall off. Any ideas?

also, I've read where some guys carry a spare spring. Is this something I should do with my SG? or is that for some other model bikes?

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have noticed lately that my 2012 SG seems to lean over further than my buddies bikes when sitting on the jiffy stand / kick stand. Is there something wrong with it, do they start bending/stretching out? It's just been kinda bothering me lately and I guess I should check it out in case something is about to break or fall off. Any ideas?

also, I've read where some guys carry a spare spring. Is this something I should do with my SG? or is that for some other model bikes?
Not saying it could not happen, but I've never heard of one doing that. :dunno

You can't carry every spare in the world with you , a spring going out/bad would be a rare thing .

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . You can't carry every spare in the world with you . . .
I was thinking about having my wife follow me in the truck with a spare Ultra in the back? You think it's overkill?

As to the OP, are you comparing to other Street Glides or just other bikes. They all tilt a little bit differently.

Leaning too far is not an issue in terms of the safety of the stand. However, not leaning far enough can be. The stand has to lean over to lock out. If you park on a slant and the bike isn't pitched over far enough, the stand won't lock out and the bike can roll over. I learned this the hard way when 1Shot and I were on the way to Collision last year.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
One thing I've noticed about the kickstand on my 1200T is that it doesn't lock into position. My Yamaha V Star's kickstand would sort of lock when it was all the way down. The kickstand on my Harley is sort of free floating. I'm guess they do that on purpose incase you take off with the stand down. This way it will move out of the way with ease. The V Star's engine would cut out if I put it in gear with the stand down, my Harley doesn't do that.

·
Former Lurker
2,912 Posts
Many years ago I had a stand on an old Kaw loosen up a bit and it made for more of a lean. Tightened a bolt and was good to go.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just a thought...if your bud's bike had been lowered it will not lean over as far as yours if you have not changed your suspension. Changes in suspension will effect, to some degree, how far the bike will lean over. Not enough to be of consequence typically but when comparing lean angles there will be some difference.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
One thing I've noticed about the kickstand on my 1200T is that it doesn't lock into position. My Yamaha V Star's kickstand would sort of lock when it was all the way down. The kickstand on my Harley is sort of free floating. I'm guess they do that on purpose incase you take off with the stand down. This way it will move out of the way with ease. The V Star's engine would cut out if I put it in gear with the stand down, my Harley doesn't do that.
I did a project in college testing jiffy stands for Harley. When you lower the stand it should be free to move. When you put the weight of the bike on the stand, it should set up into a slot that holds the bike from rolling forward or backward and falling off the stand. You are correct that Harley does not have an engine kill switch in the stands when you go into gear. It is designed so that the spring tension along with the slightest friction with a road surface will cause the stand to raise up when moving forward.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
Are ya talking apples to apples ? Your bud's have the same year and model bike as you do ?
Actually the Street Glide will stand up taller on the jiffy stand do to the factory lowered suspension.
Take a look at the jiffy stand mounting hardware just to the left of the oil filter, verify everything is tight.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was comparing to a 2013 SG, 2014 SG, and a 2015 SG. All are OEM setups.
I have added a 21" front wheel. that may be some of the difference.
I was just really looking for info on how common (or not) there may be a problem arise from the jiffy stand.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I was thinking about having my wife follow me in the truck with a spare Ultra in the back? You think it's overkill?

As to the OP, are you comparing to other Street Glides or just other bikes. They all tilt a little bit differently.

Leaning too far is not an issue in terms of the safety of the stand. However, not leaning far enough can be. The stand has to lean over to lock out. If you park on a slant and the bike isn't pitched over far enough, the stand won't lock out and the bike can roll over. I learned this the hard way when 1Shot and I were on the way to Collision last year.
Maybe so . :dunno

·
Behind Enemy Lines
287 Posts
I had my 2003 Sportster 1200 kickstand spring fall off on a ride. Got to the destination and found out it wouldn't stay in the up position when I was leaving. Good thing my buddy was handy and rigged it to stay up so I can ride it to the dealer and get it fixed. Check your bolts and spring to make sure it didn't get loose.

·
Registered
39,492 Posts
One thing I've noticed about the kickstand on my 1200T is that it doesn't lock into position. My Yamaha V Star's kickstand would sort of lock when it was all the way down. The kickstand on my Harley is sort of free floating. I'm guess they do that on purpose incase you take off with the stand down.
Harley kick stands lock into position when they are leaned over and weight put on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same issue on my '09 Road King. Turns out that was an issues with an incorrect jiffy stand bracket that they subsequently changed. There was actually a recall. The new bracket solved my issue.

That said, this is probably not your issue, because it was changed sometime mid '09 as I recall. But, if you haven't owned if from new folks can change things and that older bracket is coveted by some for their lowered bikes.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
I don't remember the '09 kickstand issue being a "recall", it was a MoCo update on request type of repair. There was no safety issue with the kickstand and no failures to any of the associated parts.
The MoCo replaced the kickstand assy. as a customer satisfaction action. They do that on occasion !

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't remember the '09 kickstand issue being a "recall", it was a MoCo update on request type of repair. There was no safety issue with the kickstand and no failures to any of the associated parts.
The MoCo replaced the kickstand assy. as a customer satisfaction action. They do that on occasion !
I sit corrected, it was actually a Service Bulletin, M-1243.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
my wide glide leans over as far as any bike I've had the only issue I had with kick stand was asphalt on road flew up and knocked it loose this was on my side car hack I just put a tywrap on it till got home not sure what I would have done on two wheel bike but I might have been able to miss it on 2 wheel bike I do carry them and tape and short piece of electric wire

1 - 20 of 20 Posts