Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed 12,000 miles on my '06 Classic with a Jim's 120 and a SE 6-speed. This is my opinion:
I love the motor (and trans).
114.23 HP and 116.5 TQ to the rear wheel with beautiful curves.
I get about 150-160 miles to a tank of gas, so it eats a bit more fuel.
I was surprised by how well it runs at low speed also. Has a bit of a cam burble and some shake at idle, but that's cool, and it really runs smooth off idle.

It can be a bitch to start after a long time in a parade ride in hot Florida (even using the compression releases), but they all are.
I eventually added a HD high-torque starter and the 2007 high-volume oil pump just for good measure.

At 5,000 miles it ate up a front motor mount. At 12,000 miles I changed it again just to be safe (although it didn't look too bad my vibration was increasing). New motor mount solved that problem.

At 12,000 miles I heard some funny noises. Result: one rear cylinder roller-lifter collapsed (the bearings in the roller itself), which caused the lifter to drop enough to ride directly on the cam lobe (which ruined the SE264 cam) and a slightly bent chrome-moly push rod. HD dealer did the repair. They called Jim's. THEY COULD CARE LESS. Very nice.

However, some insider info came out: Change the 4 lifters routinely every 10,000 miles. That's about all they'll go. I understand these lifters are made by Jim's for their motors and for Screaming Eagle.
And, change the front motor mount about the same time just for giggles.

Running strong again and ready to take on the world.
I'd give it 5 stars except for Jim's attitude.
I don't think warranty is their strong suit.
So 4 stars is about right.

Jim
Tampa

·
Registered
34 Posts
have you been running the high-volume oil pump from the start? a guy at my local stealer has the 120 in his FLHTC and was having over heating probs. he thought is was because the stock oil pump wasnt scavenging enough oil. I havent talked to him in a while, but he thought he had it fixed by replacing the Baisley Spring back to a stocker.

Tony

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
High volume oil pump

The bike is near perfect.
Unfortunately, the rider is far from it.

I ran the 120 for 12,000 miles with the stock oil pump. It seemed to get a little hotter a little faster than the others with me. This is all riding in hot, humid Florida. Everyone has trouble in parade riding in Daytona, Leesburg, etc. when it's hot. Running Syn3.

I changed to the hi-vol oil pump just now in the Winter in anticipation of helping out in the Summer. I won't know if it's a real improvement or not for awhile, but I'll post something when I figure it out.

I don't expect anything dramatic, but I figure every little bit is helpful. It says it pumps 30% more, but that doesn't mean it cools anything. I don't notice any (much) oil pressure increase at idle, for instance.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,187 Posts
The rule to remember is, "There is NO replacement for displacement!"

I'm sure if you got off a bike with an 88 cubic inch engine
and tried a bike with a 120 cubic inch engine, it'd be a shocker!

"There is NO replacement for displacement!" .... except for (in some ways) a turbo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts