Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· weird member
2022 El Diablo, 1997 FXSTC
4,571 Posts
If it's just a riding club, you shouldn't be hassled as long as their patch isn't a 3 piece and doesn't look like a MC patch.

That said, I never heard of a RC with "colors" or a requirement to wear them. I have a big back patch on my vest of a unicorn but no rocker patches or name, not part of any group and I've never been hassled by anyone over it, cop or MC members. Well, I was hassled once by some random lady in a Harbor Freight check out that thought I was lying to her when I said I wasn't in a club. "Oh, you can't talk about it huh?". No lady, this is blatantly not a club jacket, stop watching so much TV.

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,919 Posts
If it's just a riding club, you shouldn't be hassled as long as their patch isn't a 3 piece and doesn't look like an MC patch.

That said, I never heard of a riding club with "colors" or a requirement to wear them.
Depends on if that RC has started some shit with the local Dom or OMC.

· Wayward Son
24,549 Posts
I would question a 'RC' that 'requires' colors to be worn.

It's a RC, not a MC...

I would ask around what the scoop is on that 'RC'.
If it's just a riding club, you shouldn't be hassled as long as their patch isn't a 3 piece and doesn't look like a MC patch.

That said, I never heard of a RC with "colors" or a requirement to wear them.
They do exist. Cube states RC.
Unfortunately, only takes one RC member to think all of a sudden he is in an MC. Patch goes to his head. To many episodes of Sons of Anarchy. The whole RC will catch grief.
Have seen it happen with "clean & sober" clubs too.

· Wayward Son
24,549 Posts
I forgot to add that they are a charitable RC with 100% of dues going toward animal shelters.
Not sure that will make a difference to the MC Member giving an RC member grief. But you are more then welcome to explain that to one should you ever become the target.
If you, any RC, FC, or SC member for that matter is lucky, the MC will either be an animal lover. Or once done laughing, forget why he was hassling you, any member, to begin with.

Seriously. Why a patch for an RC? Sort of like the lone wolf patches out there.
You want to ride with a group? You don't need a patch.
You want to donate? Donate directly. You don't need a patch.

I donate to a couple charities. Don't have a bumper sticker, window decal, or t-shirt.
Or belong to a group even.

· weird member
4,571 Posts
That's kind of my take on it. I get some people like the "camaraderie" with being in a group or "being part of something", even if I don't personally have those feelings. Not knocking the people that want that even if I'll never feel the same way or understand and lack any sense of sentimentality that would make me prone to want it.

But at a certain point, it seems not worth the hassle or worth doing. And I get that not all clubs are the same, whether MC or RC, but some RCs seem like they want to have all the drama and image of an OMC without doing actual OMC stuff. Like poser role playing after watching too much SoA. And you can still get that camaraderie and do group rides without starting a club about it anyway if that's all you're after.

The patch on my vest is for style, not trying to look like some BAMF hardcore "real biker" or like a club vest (otherwise, it wouldn't be a unicorn). Those "no club lone wolf" patches to me, when I see them, is someone that's got ego problems and childish mentality and trying too hard. Like, it's obvious you're probably not in a club by the fact you're not wearing a club vest, why the need to project it? To find other "lone wolves" with which to circlejerk about being "independent"? To goad MCs and RCs about it as a sort of passive-aggressive condescension?

· Registered
5,567 Posts
None of this patch stuff has ever made any sense to me.
I just don't get it.
I have worked with active members of opposing MC's. No colors worn on the job but, they all knew who was who...
Never witnessed any animosity between them.
HA opened a clubhouse about 2 miles from my house. Never hear a peep out of em. I will say the meth heads have done a good job of scurrying off though.

Thought about the veteran riding clubs, for about a minute... Too many frggin rules! Geez, there's a reason i wasn't a lifer! My nephew is a member of a support group... Just listening to the BS rules he has to deal with... Naw! I'll pass.
I'll wear that slick backed vest with pride. It's not all that hard to show other bikers respect whether or not they have a patch. Don't start none, won't be none... purty simple.

· Wayward Son
24,549 Posts
....HA opened a clubhouse about 2 miles from my house. Never hear a peep out of em. I will say the meth heads have done a good job of scurrying off though.....
Of course not. Even a puppy knows not to shit and piss where it's going to eat and sleep.

Same with work, job sites. Elsewhere....
There is always "neutral" territory where differences are left at the door so to speak. Been that way for years.

· Lisa
1,998 Posts

That said, I never heard of a RC with "colors" or a requirement to wear them. I have a big back patch on my vest of a unicorn but no rocker patches or name, not part of any group and I've never been hassled by anyone over it, cop or MC members. Well, I was hassled once by some random lady in a Harbor Freight check out that thought I was lying to her when I said I wasn't in a club. "Oh, you can't talk about it huh?". No lady, this is blatantly not a club jacket, stop watching so much TV.
Kyle, that made me laugh!

· Wayward Son
24,549 Posts
Kyle, that made me laugh!
Until SoA, if you wore a leather and road a motorcycle, didn't even have to be a Harley. The most often asked question was, are you "one of them Hells Angels?".
Now it's what Kyle said. Or close.
Only back patch I ever wore was the large HD wings. And they were at waist height.
Really is hilarious, at times even dangerous, all the misconceptions ma and pa couch potato have concerning all thise who ride.

· Registered
2014 Ultra Limited
685 Posts
Years ago I rode with a MC, liked most of the people we rode with and had some great time. I got to the point however on group rides I didn’t care for how some people ride. It’s a co-dependent situation when in groups. So after about 4-5 years I decided my group size was like 3 bikes…. I much prefer smaller rides and with people I know and trust.
Not to mention all this crap about OMC’s giving others the business….. it’s like really? Just grow up. Reminds me of the movie Wild Hogs and Delfuago’s….. ironically my old group actually went and saw that movie when it came out.

· weird member
4,571 Posts
Though to be fair, that's the only time anyone ever said anything to me in the last 5 or 6 years and I ride almost daily and am wearing my vest every time.

But yeah, that woman was really pushing my buttons. I told her many, many times in that line that I wasn't in a club and she was thoroughly convinced I was lying. If I was the type that had no problems with going to jail or with being physically violent for any reason other than self-defense, she'd have lost the other half of her teeth that day. But, she also seemed like the type that takes too many pills with their wine. Couldn't tell if the scabs on her face were from meth bugs or scabies.

Mostly, the only comments I get are people laughing at my mirror reversed "slower traffic keep right" patch or asking about my Iron Butt patch.

· Wayward Son
24,549 Posts
Mostly, the only comments I get are people laughing at my mirror reversed "slower traffic keep right" patch or asking about my Iron Butt patch.
Be very very careful if those asking about your IB patch are male. Just say'in....
Anyone else notice we seem to have lost the OP?

· Registered
107 Posts
Not sure that will make a difference to the MC Member giving an RC member grief. But you are more then welcome to explain that to one should you ever become the target.
If you, any RC, FC, or SC member for that matter is lucky, the MC will either be an animal lover. Or once done laughing, forget why he was hassling you, any member, to begin with.

I donate to a couple charities. Don't have a bumper sticker, window decal, or t-shirt.
Or belong to a group even.
I would seriously reconsider wearing anything that looks like colors. It's a bad idea, you will still appear to look like an mc, not all mcs have a sense of humor. Sometimes crap happens so fast... just saying, I'm with thunder, his words are very wise.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts