Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Kainam, I just bought my 2021 Road Glide Special last Monday. The dealers “selling price” was over $3,000 over MSRP, which did nothing but piss me off. He gave me some lip about Harley limiting supply to dealers to drive up the price; what a butthead. I told him what I would pay. He made two more trips to the ”office, and ended up accepting my offer. My offer was fair and a win-win for both parties. What a pain in my ass the negotiations were! I would have tried an Indian, but they don’t have enough dealerships to suit me for long distance touring. Ok, my rant is over. I do love the bike.

But hey! They're LGBQTWTFBBQ friendly! And they started having their phone answering girl start leaving voice mail messages again from her cell phone (cause I have their land line blocked) asking if I am still in the market for a bike..... yeah, I am, but not from them!

·
weird member
2,617 Posts
Kainam, I just bought my 2021 Road Glide Special last Monday. The dealers “selling price” was over $3,000 over MSRP, which did nothing but piss me off. He gave me some lip about Harley limiting supply to dealers to drive up the price; what a butthead. I told him what I would pay. He made two more trips to the ”office, and ended up accepting my offer. My offer was fair and a win-win for both parties. What a pain in my ass the negotiations were! I would have tried an Indian, but they don’t have enough dealerships to suit me for long distance touring. Ok, my rant is over. I do love the bike.
That is true though, they announced it as being part of their 5-year hardwire plan or whatever, drive up the price through exclusivity by shipping less bikes (as well as closing some dealerships), trying to make it an "aspirational brand" or whatever. That's a relatively new thing though that was just announced. I don't know that means $3K over MSRP, I would imagine the company would bump up MSRP to reflect that rather than keeping tthe MSRP the same and expecting dealers to go over it.

It's all bs to make the shareholders happy. A blatant example of "we don't care about the customer, only about the standing of our stock". Rather than trying to sell more bikes, they're trying to sell the same amount at higher prices.

·
Former Lurker
3,269 Posts
I had a big Polaris 4 wheeler that I really liked. Looked the Victories awhile back but never liked them enough to consider a change. I am tired of how arrogant the HD dealers are and they are way to proud of EVERYTHING ($$) in the store.

·
Former Lurker
3,269 Posts
BTW, I was at our locla stealer over the weekend and saw a new RKS in the "Snake venom." That is one cool paint job. The green with a nice metal flake and then it changes to blue/purple as the light moves around it. It was up in the front window, but I bet it really looks good out in the sun. The RGS looks good online, I was very impressed with the color in person. If I had not bought my RGS last year, I would buy one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I looked at that same color RKS a couple of weeks ago. It looked great. FWIW, Indian is even more proud of their products.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I had a big Polaris 4 wheeler that I really liked. Looked the Victories awhile back but never liked them enough to consider a change. I am tired of how arrogant the HD dealers are and they are way to proud of EVERYTHING ($$) in the store.
They are spendie, but I purchased some rocker cover "O" rings - gaskets - for a Ford V6 a few years back and I'm tellin' ya' it isn't just Harley that's expensive.
.I am lucky that I have some good dealers around me. I haven't tried to purchase a motorcycle from them, but many of our HOG chapter have and are satisfied. I even called a dealer in Ocala to see if they have a torque plate to hone cylinders (no dealer is doing it any longer - not cost effective). The service manager phoned me back the next day to tell me where I could get it done. I was surprised. The parts guys at our local dealership are both friendly and helpful. I always say hello to the service writers when I enter through the back door and they are friendly and helpful if I have a question. Like I said, I think I'm lucky.

·
weird member
2,617 Posts
They are spendie, but I purchased some rocker cover "O" rings - gaskets - for a Ford V6 a few years back and I'm tellin' ya' it isn't just Harley that's expensive.
.I am lucky that I have some good dealers around me. I haven't tried to purchase a motorcycle from them, but many of our HOG chapter have and are satisfied. I even called a dealer in Ocala to see if they have a torque plate to hone cylinders (no dealer is doing it any longer - not cost effective). The service manager phoned me back the next day to tell me where I could get it done. I was surprised. The parts guys at our local dealership are both friendly and helpful. I always say hello to the service writers when I enter through the back door and they are friendly and helpful if I have a question. Like I said, I think I'm lucky.
Well, I see a lot of people complain about dealers. The dealer around the corner from my house is excellent too, though I never bought a bike from them, but they seem to sell quite a few though given the small nature of this area. But yeah, they've never tried up-selling me or dicking me around in parts and service. I'd recommend my dealer any day of the week. Guess I might be lucky too. I think it also helps that 95% of the people working at my local dealership also ride.

Sometimes I wonder though with reviews. Some people just going to complain about any business, go in looking for any reason to be mad at a place. Then there's people that have ridiculously unreasonable demands that get mad when they aren't met. Then there's other times people are mad at a dealership over something that's company policy that the dealership has no control over (like when someone complains at a waitress like it's her fault that the kitchen ran out of prime rib). Or sometimes someone will have a legitimate complaint but they blow it way out of proportion. Then of course there are those that try to weaponize their review in an attempt to extort free stuff out of a place. And there's also the occasion that someone got legitimately bad service but said bad service was unusual for the place like maybe the guy just had a really bad day and normally would give great service.

So I take complaints (and praise for that matter) with a grain of salt. If a lot of people have the same complaints about the same place though, then it holds a little more weight. Or if a lot of people have the same praise. I do know some places, if you're a good and well-known customer or something, you get treated with good service while everyone else has to fight for mediocre service.

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
BTW, I was at our locla stealer over the weekend and saw a new RKS in the "Snake venom." That is one cool paint job. The green with a nice metal flake and then it changes to blue/purple as the light moves around it. It was up in the front window, but I bet it really looks good out in the sun. The RGS looks good online, I was very impressed with the color in person. If I had not bought my RGS last year, I would buy one.
What dealer was that?

·
Registered
Mr. James
893 Posts
What dealer was that?
I bet it was Ft Bragg. I was there yesterday and saw that bike he was talking about. Wild crazy paint job.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think you have to remember that a lot of the dealership owners took over their stores in the days when there was a waiting list to buy a bike. That being said, they never had to cultivate a relationship with their customers. It has come back to bite those types of dealers. It used to be that when I bought my bike and was treated well by the sales and service departments it became "my dealer". Then came the surge of new owners. If you didn't want to buy a bike from him, he didn't care. The next guy in the door would buy that bike. Now it seems that the pendulum has swung back the other way and they have to work to keep customers. Where I live I used to have 8 dealerships within 35 miles of my house. That is now down to 2.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
Well, even if HD dealers start working hard (and I doubt that will happen) it's too late for them to save me as a customer. I just got home from a long morning of serious negotiations. I just bought a new 2020 Indian Challenger Limited. WOW you won't believe the throttle response on that bike till you experience it. All in all, I'm very pleased with the deal I got. I really was prepared to walk, and they knew that, and it worked out. They will be installing a Stage 1 and the necessary airbox is on order so it may be a week, maybe 10 days, I just don't know for sure yet when it will be ready to ride away on but with the current and projected weather I'm not worrying about when I get it. Now to put together a nice ad to sell my RGU.

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Congrats! What year is your RGU?

·
weird member
2,617 Posts
I mentioned before the thing I didn't like about Indians was their look... but the plans they have for the new 2022 Chieftain models, particularly the naked base model version... that's one thing that could sway me from HD, if I were in the market for a new bike.

Honestly, I hope Indian does well, and I hope Buel does well when it comes back. HD needs some serious competition to light a fire under them to get their shite together.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Honestly, I hope Indian does well, and I hope Buel does well when it comes back. HD needs some serious competition to light a fire under them to get their shite together.
x2

Reactions: sardonicus87
21 - 37 of 37 Posts