Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ultra Glide Standard with tour pack fiull backrest
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride today - came the closest to dropping my bike so far... whew!

Was riding 2 up with my favorite gal - we're both a lot more of a "load" than we used to be if you know what I mean.. well, I stopped at a stop sign up a steep slope... had to turn right. As I started to go, fumbled it just wrong and I realized I was losing it - almost dropped it... thankfully I instinctively popped the clutch and my Electra glide leaped ahead somewhat wildly, nearly popping a wheelie... Yikes... but we were still UP.
Sure it's a bit embarrassing, but not too proud to admit it - I guess I'm not as smooth and experienced as I would like to think I am... Good news is that I just need to keep practicing... right honey?!

I have been riding off and on for 30 years and most of my bikes have been cruisers, and it's obvious that 2-up does become more technical as our combined mass goes up(!) Rode 2 up with my son yesterday and couldn't even tell he was there... ha!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Did nearly the same scenario but one up with 2 bikes Saturday!
Eric on his SGS, me on my Ultra: We were putting around exploring the streets of Idlewild. (A very hilly little town on top of the mountain) There was a lot of evidence left by the last storm that rolled through. Most all driveways are dirt, while the streets are steep and off camber. Couldn't even see the sand that was spread across at one intersection. We had the Stop sign on a "T". Steep right turn uphill. As we rolled up to the stop side by side, we both were playing goofy foot on ice. Eff this! We both left that intersection sideways! That was the ONLY stop sign, were we actually stopped, for the remainder of the day!

I just kept picturing both bikes lying bars downhill in my head.. I would not have fared so well, as i was on the uphill side at the top. Doubt i could sideways jump off my bike and clear a sleeping SGS and Eric! o_O

·
Registered
2021 Street Glide Special
4 Posts
Did that at a gas station with my girlfriend on the back. Pulled up to the pumps and she began to get off and I wasn't ready but somehow I pulled the bike back with her still on it. . . . My Dad's bike anyway. :D

·
American
29,338 Posts
Glad your okay and kept the bike up.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went for a ride today - came the closest to dropping my bike so far... whew!

Was riding 2 up with my favorite gal - we're both a lot more of a "load" than we used to be if you know what I mean.. well, I stopped at a stop sign up a steep slope... had to turn right. As I started to go, fumbled it just wrong and I realized I was losing it - almost dropped it... thankfully I instinctively popped the clutch and my Electra glide leaped ahead somewhat wildly, nearly popping a wheelie... Yikes... but we were still UP.
Sure it's a bit embarrassing, but not too proud to admit it - I guess I'm not as smooth and experienced as I would like to think I am... Good news is that I just need to keep practicing... right honey?!

I have been riding off and on for 30 years and most of my bikes have been cruisers, and it's obvious that 2-up does become more technical as our combined mass goes up(!) Rode 2 up with my son yesterday and couldn't even tell he was there... ha!
In my opinion after riding with many other bikes for 50 yrs. this can happen to ANYONE...no matter how long you have been riding or what kind of bike you're on. My wife and i have gotten much bigger now than years ago and i have to concentrate a bit more when stopping to balance out. Lord don't let me have to get good footing on a slope with gravel. But yet if i have a smaller person on the back it doesn't seem so much of a task. Forgive yourself and realize you are in the "norm". BTW...i ride a 2012 ElectraGlide.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
As the saying goes 3 wheels is better than two nowadays I wont have that problem
Glad to hear you kept your bike up
View attachment 798487
Yes, don't have to worry about tip overs so much with 3... but, I have the option of lane splitting and filtering up at stops! I don't see many trikes around here in Cali.. I will probably make the switch to a trike when this old body struggles to keep the Electra Glide upright, but by then i will have moved far from this commie state!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Weird cause I seeing more and more trikes here in San Diego. In fact, one couple that we ride with have a trike. They are safer but we prefer 2 wheels, at least for now.
I always make sure my guy is ready for me to get off the back when we stop. In other words, brace yourself. Lol.
I learned that quickly, as even though I'm only 120 lbs, I've seen him get a little off balance in the past. I'd hate to be the reason he dropped his baby lol.

·
Registered
869 Posts
HAD ON OLD DIRT BIKER FRIEND TELL ME ONCE, Throttle will get you out of more trouble than it will get you into."

Good advice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts