Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey old timers, I just acquired this nearly perfect 1996 FLHT Standard over the weekend and I can’t believe how great of shape it is in!

everything is perfect about the bike, starts right up, still plenty of pep. 18k original miles, only a few scratches on the right saddle bag. EXCEPT the radio has no power? I don’t mind because listening to the bike is the only sound I wanna hear, but how should I problem solve the lack of power to the radio? It’s an original cassette player and I flipped on the ACC button. No power. Perhaps a fuse, loose wire, or should I just replace the radio?

thanks!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Administrator
14,096 Posts
SWEET find.

My first was a '95 FLHT. It had 17k on it and after 17 years I totaled it with 137k. I do miss that bike. Looked just like yours.

Reactions: 80XLH96FLHT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO give it couple weeks, you'll find more stuff ! Is it carbed or EFI ?
Haha no doubt. It wouldn’t be a Harley if it wasn’t leaking oil, right?

I just realized by looking at my right pant leg that it looks like the head of the front cylinder is leaking oil….

ill probably have to order a new gasket kit and reassemble it. Or what is the best approach here?

im in the process of rebuilding a 1980 XLS1000 so not too scared about a “simple” gasket update.

·
Administrator
14,096 Posts
It’s carbed. Any benefit to switching to an S&S ?
No, the CV is an excellent carb. I would recommend a jet kit, but I am huge fan of the OEM carb. Never gave me an issue. I jetted it when I went to SE Heads and .010" over bore.

·
Administrator
14,096 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Road-King.
336 Posts
used to do those daily. I recommend the cork gaskets if you can still find them and use gasket cinch with cork gskts. will seal them up good. Are the cylinder base gskts. okay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
used to do those daily. I recommend the cork gaskets if you can still find them and use gasket cinch with cork gskts. will seal them up good. Are the cylinder base gskts. okay?
I just bought the Cyco complete gasket kit, I didn’t see any cork on eBay or Amazon. It seems like it’s the forward rocker assembly that’s leaking. It’s not an awful lot, but it lightly covers my pant leg and everything forward or that position. The kit comes next week.

should I replace both rocker gaskets since I’m getting into it?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
The corners of the rocker box gaskets are narrow and the source of most leaks. Make sure the gaskets don't slip when installing the next cover and do not overtighten the rocker box bolts, they can squeeze the gasket out. It's a good idea to check the rockers with a good straight edge/surface to check for warpage while off.

I just thought of this; there were significant changes between 1996 and 1997 E.G.'s (I could be off a year). Engine is pretty much same same, but frame, fairing,seat, etc. are different. Check mfg. fitment specs. before buying parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts