Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pick up a 97 FXSTC. It runs like a champ!! Great compression, 127 in the front and 137 in the back.. A few small electric issues but i can work through those.. I'm sure I will have some questions but for now I will start with some easy ones.

1) Did these bikes come with a fuel gauge on the left tank stock?. This one does not. It has a fuel cap but i can't unscrew it.... Should I be able to?

2) in looking at new rims, it seams like adds say "fit 88 to 99 Softail" am I pretty safe in buying rims and tires that fit this description?

3) Anyone have a link to a free Service manual download?

Thanks in advance

·
Poser Member # 99
18,223 Posts
Did you Know Service Manual Download's are illegal . Invest in a Harley Davidson Service manual and Parts Manual . J & p cycles or Ebay or Amazon are good places to start for manuals

Pic's or it didn't really Happen

Congrats on the new to you Bike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you Know Service Manual Download's are illegal . Invest in a Harley Davidson Service manual and Parts Manual . J & p cycles or Ebay or Amazon are good places to start for manuals

Pic's or it didn't really Happen

Congrats on the new to you Bike
Ha, I did know it is illegal.... I went to my local shop and ordered one but it will take 10 days and I am itching to figure a few things out...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, 81 views and no one can answer question #1. That's kinda hard to believe.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Right gas cap is right handed threads left one is left handed threads, I think the fuel faves came on later models but can be added to these older ones

·
Poser Member # 99
18,223 Posts
I think every one that can ride is out riding there was a guy out here in Michigan riding his Sportster . It almost hit 50 degrees on Monday and its suppose to be in Mid 50's today

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right gas cap is right handed threads left one is left handed threads, I think the fuel faves came on later models but can be added to these older ones
HOLY CRAP!!! That explains it... Why would they do that?

Thanks Aceman!!!!

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
Very cool ride. One of the best looking Softails HD ever built. Im partial to them, own an 09. Not whole lot of difference appearance wise. 400+ day not hard to do, with a good fitting seat.. Very stable and smooth on road. Your EVO should be dependable. Good Luck with her.

·
Registered
569 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!! That explains it... Why would they do that?

Thanks Aceman!!!!
It has left hand threads because if you dump the bike on the left side and that cap rubs on the pavement (or rubs on whatever) it would unscrew if it had right hand threads and spill gasoline all over.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
It has left hand threads because if you dump the bike on the left side and that cap rubs on the pavement (or rubs on whatever) it would unscrew if it had right hand threads and spill gasoline all over.
That is pretty cool!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There ya go... I figured it was for a reason..

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's not bad once you get use to it lol! Ride ride ride that way you get to take it on and off a lot so you can get use to it!

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
First week of rideable weather. Nice lines I like the way it looks. Enjoy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts