Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, new to the site and new to Harley's so im going to be asking alot of questions for a while! as a flight school grad present my uncle gave me a 1978 shovelhead, after a few years sitting in storage he decided it needed to be ridden again so i have a good project on my hands. from what i can tell it has a ridged frame conversion, a wide glide front end the twin tanks (i think they were called fat-bob tanks). i have plans to turn it into a bobber with a black and gold theme, pin up girls on the tanks, oil tank painted to look like a glass of guinness,, ect. ill post up some pictures tonight of the beginning stages of tear down, suggestions, critiques, great deals on parts are all welcome!!

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Welcome from Mass. looks like you're almost finished.:)

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
Looks like it is in nice shape, just a bit of wrench turnin and she'll be rolling down the road again! :thumb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wish that were the truth scol,,, were in the taking it apart stages now. im planning on a powder bronze frame with satin black tank, drive cover and fender. pretty much everything needs some tlc on the bike with the exeption of the engine, newish s&s shovelhead from what im told.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
POS....

(send it to me.....I love shovels...send it to me.....:D)

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
i wish that were the truth scol,,, were in the taking it apart stages now. im planning on a powder bronze frame with satin black tank, drive cover and fender. pretty much everything needs some tlc on the bike with the exeption of the engine, newish s&s shovelhead from what im told.
I can almost visualize the color it'll look great.

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts
does look good man congrats and welcome

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
ride it, or I'll take it, Dave PMed me said he no longer wants you to send it to him, Looks awesome the way it is now...just a stretched king sporty tank on it, with some Z bars, very small or no front fender and a short ribbed fender in the rear. and while we are at it, why not upturned pipes with some cocktail shakers.

OK, me needs a cold shower

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like you all have great

sounds like you all have great ideas, i do have something very specific in mind though. I all ready had the whole design in my head, colors and all then i saw a picture in hot bike magazine, the picture was part of an advertisement for a company who puts your bike on the cover of a magazine for you. everything about the bike is what i all ready planned so its a bonus to have a guide for the details. the small rounded rear fender, short and low lines of the bike, springer seat, and the handlebars!!!! LOVE THE HANDLEBARS!!!! if anyone knows exactly how to do that, what bars to get or any tips im all ears!

ps, hope im not gonna get in trouble for posting a pic of an advertisement, just using it to illustrate my ideas of what i want to accomplish with my bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya i was thinking that it was just a set of bars turned upside down but wouldnt the pull back or angle that the bar ends are set at be wrong if you just turned them upside down?

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
Not buckhorns, but the small rise handlebars like on flat trackers or Nightster/883Iron, turned upside down and flipped end for end so that what was the right grip is now the left grip.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
that bike is a ridgid to see how low it is you got to have the right look to use the bar set up and the rest together if you dont put it on the right chassie itll look Gay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts