Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the bike world and need advice. I don’t know what to get as a first bike. The BRC couches had different opinions. One said to go with a cheap Japanese bike in the 500-900cc range until I get some miles and then look at the HD I like. The other couch said, since I am 6’ 3” 230 lbs. and want a cruiser, not worry about size, just find one that feels good. I have been reading a lot of threads that say the weight of the bike is the big issue for a new rider. As a large rider I am of course pulled to the Wide Glide. One thread I was reading, a person did go with the Wide Glide first but he said the weight caused him to drop it a few times, other than that he loved it. I am at the point in my life when buying something for now that I will be replacing in a year seems like a poor idea. Along with that I do have knee problems when I force them to maintain a less than 90. This is what is pulling me to buying the HD I like rather than some cheap bike, like a shadow, to learn on and will require maintenance and replacement before long. I took the BRC on a dual purpose and was very sore and did not like it at all. The bikes I want to try are Vulcan, Fury, V-twin, and the dream bike, the Wide Glide. All of those have good ratings for large riders. So what is the take on going straight to the Dyna family for a first bike? Would I be risking my life and wasting money or making a better long term decision that does not leave me wanting a new bike in a few months, like all my friend did? As for where I will be riding, I am USAF and live on base with speeds ranging from 15 MPH to 35 MPH. I don’t go off base much unless I am in the minivan with wife and kids, so I am not planning on learning at 90 MPH on the high way. What is your take on learning on a larger bike at low speeds?

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
First off welcome to the forum.
IMO go straight to the Wide Glide if that is what you think you will end up with. My wife had never ridden a bike or rode anything with a clutch until she had taken the riders coarse this year. I purchased her a 2014 Street bob as her first bike and she hasn't had any issues at all learning to ride.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Asking any group for opinions will get you opinions all over the place. Look at what grabs you, maybe several will at least grab you somewhat. Sit on them at the dealerships, talk with riders at any bike nights close to you, test ride some if you can.

Then, my opinion only, get what you think will be the one for you for a long time. You ain't no little guy, and the concept of "starter bike" is bologna to me. As long as you take it easy and accept the learning curve you can make any bike you want a "starter bike". I had a Sportster, went to a Dyna, now ride a Road Glide. At slower speeds the heavier bike seems more stable.

And you should consider Softails and touring bikes as well as Dynas. Most of those come with engine guards so you won't hurt anything except your pride when you have a tipover or parking lot speed mishap. And you will--all of us have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts