Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[email protected]

I just came off a 1500 mile road trip, great trip from Knoxville, through GA the up the SC coast then back across NC. The last few days my girl would hesitate while cruising through towns at 35 to 40 mph. The last day it would do it at speed transitioning on up to 55 or 60 etc. My first thoughts were [email protected]! What's going on. I made it home alright and then started checking in on this, in the owners manual, shop manual and this site. Keep in mind there were no idiot lights going off and once up to cruising speed all was well. I went through all of the electrical checks the book said and once the engine was cool enough I checked the plugs, the front one was not kosher. I swapped it out and she is back in order! Both the owners manual and the shop manual started off with the plugs and I am glad that was the case. I was thinking water in gas, bad hose on fuel pump, bad filter, burnt valve, etc. You old school guys would have probably caught this right off, but those of us new to Harleys I hope this helps. Always check the simple first! And... WAIT FOR THAT ENGINE TO COOL BEFORE REMOVING THE PLUGS!! I hope this will help others, ride on!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Thanks for posting, the resolution to the issue. Sounds like a great trip.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Yup, reminds me of the first time I fixed my moms vacuum cleaner. She said it quit working so I tore into it, pulled the motor apart and checked everything. I found nothing. Went to check power at the motor leads so I plugged it in and had no power at the motor. Discovered one of the two forks on the plug was broke. Replaced the plug and it ran fine. DOH!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yuppers, It seems that we want to look at the most serious first when all along it was A instead of Z! It was a great trip, the only bad day was Friday when a storm was coming in and I had to fight 20 mph side winds all day, no rain except for lunch till I got to a motel, still a great day and not a day in a cage! The good Lord was watching out for me, I stopped for lunch and there was a downpour, about the time I finished the storm passed and I was on the road again. Can't beat that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts