Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my air cleaner with K&N filter. Online is says soak it in ONLY K&N oil....but my friend that works at a Mercedes dealership said that they always soak them in hydraulic fluid and they have no problems and always compliments. Is K&N just trying to upsell their product? Or are their instructions legit?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't use hydraulic fluid, the K&N spray lasts a long time and is made to catch dirt (tacky). I am cheap, but not that cheap.:)

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
The head breathers will oil the filter well enough !
I only oil air filters if the engine is going to be operated in extreme environments, dusty etc.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
The K & N Oil Kit is only around $12 and will last you and a couple of friends a lifetime. Buy it !!!!

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
DO NOT SOAK it. Lightly oil with K&N oil. If you over oil these you will have a drippy mess coming out of air cleaner on to you and the motor.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Repeat HDSickness's post DO NOT SOAK!!! An even spray will suffice.
A can of K&N spray will last longer than you own the bike.

·
IMMORTAL UNDEAD
904 Posts
Does Mercedes make bikes no.
Do not use hydraulic oil, stick with the K&N oil just light spray that's all that's needed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The K & N Oil Kit is only around $12 and will last you and a couple of friends a lifetime. Buy it !!!!
Ditto...I have their filters on multiple vehicles and a single can of the filter oil has lasted for years!!!! and appears to have many years to go...
You DO NOT soak them...a light spray all over the outside, let it sit for a couple hours, wipe off any excess and install.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
do not soak it. Lightly oil with k&n oil. If you over oil these you will have a drippy mess coming out of air cleaner on to you and the motor.
^^^this!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
you run out of cleaner before oil- 2 cars my bike and 2 friends bikes and after 8 years im out of cleaner but still have oil -

just found a new kit on ebay for 9 bucks delivered-

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
:what?
I wouldn't use hydraulic
Who knows..might be good for the lifters...:eek:uttahere:

I'll repeat what everyone else says, Had these filters on all kinds of things since mid 80's
Yeah...I've bought a few cans over the years and even had friends give me cans after they were done (tired) with messing with them oily basstagges.
I've probably over done with the oil a few times and I just let them sit out for a while never had a problem

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
you can over do it on the oil! check you tube in addition to K&N instructions

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a can of K&N spray that is used on my pickup, and my bike, and is sill damn near full. Like most everyone else has said buy the spray, use just enough o turn your filter pink and it will go to the grave with you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts