Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cool lookin bike. The blacked out wheels are really interesting. Do you like em? Man, you aint afraid to throw money at exhaust systems are you? :D

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
The rear wheel on my bike came stock with the blacked out center. After I blacked out the lower fork tubes, headlight bucket, triple trees, risers etc, the front wheel kinda stuck out like a sore thumb, so off it went to Sumax too. I am really happy with the work Sumax did... not so happy with the blacked out stuff I bought from HD. I had to return the first set of triple trees cause they were so damm rusty underneath that it had pitting showing thru the powdercoat. Theres a few more pieces that I would like to black out such as the turn signals and the tach mount, but for the most part, Im done. If you can imagine the muscle cars of the late '60s, thats the look Im going for... black laquer with chrome trim

I really liked how the V&H Sideshots looked on my bike after I got them ceramic coated, but when I went to get my bike dyno tuned the AF mixture really broke up around 4k rpm and no amount of jetting would cure it. Probably would have been able to over come it if I was EFI, but I have a carb. So I decided to give the Thunderheaders a shot, luckily I could get these already ceramic coated. At first, I wasnt too enamored with the looks of the Thunderheader, but they have kinda grown on me with time. I still need to get it back on a dyno to get it dialed in...

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried AR cones with the V&H or are they already built in? I have heard the guys who like open drag pipes have had some success with them. I like your bike with the V&H pipes too.

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
No I havent, but I did try changing out the baffles....

Back about 15 years ago, I had a FXR with an Andrews EV-35 cam, Zippers stage 2 headwork, S&S Super E, 1-3/4" drags etc. and a friend had a stock FXR with a Thunderheader exhaust. His bike sounded more radical than mine... So I figured if these guys can stay in business that long building basically the same product, there must be something to it. So I decided to go with an exhaust designed with performance in mind rather than going with an exhaust designed with asthetics in mind and trying to get them to perform.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that is always the tradeoff we make, isn't it? I mean, you simply cannot deny the simple beauty of drag pipes....nor that fact that they work on an acoustic principle and will be all but impossible to tune flat. The Thunderheader on the other hand repeatedly either wins, or is the top of the class in any exhaust shootout you will ever see for HD's.....but there is no denying that like a Boxer, their looks are something that one has to learn to like. I in general, like the looks of 2:1's, the the TH is a look I constantly have to appreciate for it's ability to make the system perform as well as it does. My FXSTI ended up with a Thunderheader.....I just hid it under a saddlebag....and I HATE the look of saddlebags on a Softail. :D

Those are some pretty sweet numbers you are throwing around too. On the VROD forum the guys could not understand why I miss a 100/100 engine. It sure makes riding easy. I know my VRSCR is faster than my FXSTI was as it was only a 90/90 motor, but I didn't have to drop 2 gears and punch it to have that nice torque pull. Then again, my FXSTI scared the shit outta me when I pushed it in turns and I am pretty sure that as hard as I am pushing my R I am still 3 to 5 degrees away from the onset of pucker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts