Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just bought my first Harley a couple of weeks ago. A 2005 Heritage Softail. 4900 miles, Vance & Hines, Stage I, Lots of Chrome. So far I have to say that it is one fine machine. I have been an avid Victory rider for the past 10 years, but the newer models were just not doing it for me. Very similar in many ways to the ol V92's I have been riding, but different as well. I am in hopes we have many miles of good times together. So as a first time owner of an 88 5 speed, is there anything I should be aware of. I have read all the carnage associated with the cam chain tensioners, and I will be sure to watch that, but anything as a new owner that I should be aware of? One thing that I am struggling with, is this is the first bike that I didn't need a key to start. Do most of you lock the ignition every time you leave the bike unattended? I am already catching myself not locking it, and I'm not sure exactly how to use the alarm system yet. Any words of advice are appreciated....

Rob C.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

I usually lock the forks and the ignition when I leave the bike; unless it is like at the gas pump and I know that I am going to be right back. I don't want to let the insurance company have any leverage should there ever be a theft claim.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome from VA

·
Registered
36,947 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to figure out the alarm system, now for the next hurdle. How do you remove the quick release windshield? I can see 2 spring type latches around the top mount, but I am a little scared to pull on it too much. Im sure it will be a piece of cake after I figure it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts