Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but all the bikes before me have had key ignitions.

I have a new Road King, and now, because it is FOB operated instead of keyed, I keep leaving the ignition on.

I've now killed the battery four times and luckily have been at work so someone with a car has been able to jump it for me.

Is there any strategies you all use to remember to turn the bike off? Any settings so that if you leave the bike in ignition it doesn't run all the way down?

This is seriously driving me insane lol.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I only use the "kill switch" on the handle bar when I need to hold the front brake. All other stops are held with the rear brake and I use the ignition to turn off the motorcycle.

Just guessing, but practice putting down only the left foot at stops so you can hold the bike with the foot brake.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, Breeze has the correct answer, certainly, but you could also tie a pink ribbon around your pinky and when you get to your desk at work hopefully someone will question you about it and then....bingo.....you will know to run out to the parking lot and shut er down. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Never heard this one before...I use both, takes habit but my music's plays if I don't turn the ignition off. good luck.

·
Just Ride
3,766 Posts
Look back at bike while you walk away,are the lights on?

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,972 Posts
Buy a Victory.

I don't know if they have the same problems, but at least we wouldn't hear over the intercom, "would the owner of the black Harley please return to the parking area. You have left your lights on again..."

At some point in time you will put it all together.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
Turn the key to "OFF". End of discussion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry to be so abrupt, I have an Ultra not a King, but every time I park I turn the switch straight up to kill the bike. I never use the "kill switch". I just went out to the garage to look at my bike and sure enough nowhere does it say "off".

·
Registered
85 Posts
Must have been remembering my '76 Ford F-150.

·
Banned
71 Posts
If you are leaving your ignition turn on, you have left it unlock also. I surprised no one has stolen your bike from you yet .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get one of those dots tattooed on your forehead like many people from India have and every time you look in the mirror ask yourself "Did I turn off my ignition?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Always works for me. Turn it off and lock it so no one can steal my baby.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts