Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a problem with fuel overflow through the main jet. I have set the float height to spec and using a portable fuel supply with the carb bowl off I can stop the flow of fuel by raising the float gently. However when I put the float bowl back on and turn fuel on it runs straight out of the main jet again flooding the engine. I have set the float to spec and then either side of it's tolerances but still the same happens. Anyone got any helpful advice to pass on regarding this?
Many thanks in advance!

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
Replace the float needle valve. Look at the needle tip, if you see a ring around it the needle is leaking.

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
Also make sure the air cleaner back plate or gasket isn't blocking the carb vent hole.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem. This bike has been sitting for 5+ years and I cleaned the carb and all that. I was going to post pics of the float needle valve and did not notice anything till I enlarged the pics and very little rings. Any idea where I can find one of the valves? I have been looking all over the net.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I'm having the same problem. This bike has been sitting for 5+ years and I cleaned the carb and all that. I was going to post pics of the float needle valve and did not notice anything till I enlarged the pics and very little rings. Any idea where I can find one of the valves? I have been looking all over the net.
Maybe > CV Performance | Harley Carburetor and Motorcycle Parts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I have replaced the valve and still have the same problem. I put the carb on, turn on the gas everything seems fine. Give it some throttle, still fine. Once I crank it over, gas pours out the main jet.

The valve is spring loaded, so no adjustment on the float will change anything.

I really don't want to spend $500 on an S&S, but I will not go another year without my Sporty.

Ideas?

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
Is your's a CV carb ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thats an early butterfly carb on sportys, Screamin Eagle?? 38's. with the bowl off, from the flange to the top of the float, what you got for measurement. Around 1/2" should be good if i remember correctly, its been a long, long time. Most fuel overflow issues are float related. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts