Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know the movie “The Transporter”? He typed in a code to start his BMW. Well, let’s face it, the ignition key for my 2009 Nightster looks exactly like the key that opens my $20 document safe from OfficeMax. That isn’t right in my mind.

I’m thinking, why not make it so that I have to type in a code every time or the bike won’t start? I’d still keep the key I think; at the very least for the steering lock. I’m thinking I’d use the keypad from a Lincoln car (you know, those keypads on the driver’s door) or something like the home security system pads. I know they make kits for cars for code-entered starting. Essentially they work in lieu of a ‘Start’ button on the newest cars; or they enable the use of the ‘Start’ button. This can be adapted to a motorcycle I’m sure without much pain and suffering.

Question, though. I know that Harley (and others) makes a security system that prevents the bike from starting unless the ‘keyfob’ is within range. Say someone kicks me off my bike at gunpoint, I have the keyfob in my pocket and not on the key ring, and he attempts to drive off. Will the bike shut off once the keyfob is out of range from the receiver on the bike? If that’s the case, I’m getting a security system!

I’ll update my progress on this project idea in this post. Anyone else out there thought of doing this, or by chance, has it already been done?

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Yea thats a sporty you got? Not sure what it will mount but On my Touring your key fob is good for about 8 foot after that it alarms. but they got pager options too. You should be able to find out if you go to HD on the web and look up your bike "Securty and maintnance"

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I think once the bike is running it will stay running without the fob but once they turn it off it wont start again without it. A keypad code would act the same way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Keys are over rated. Check out www.digitalguarddawg.com

Look for the Digital Guard Dawg Keyless Ignition Module.

You might call it bragging, but I helped them develop that unit. In fact, if you're interested, drop me an email, and I can hook you up for a descent discount.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

RJ

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rjrivero-
So do you leave the key hole there or replace it with something? I'd consider this idea if I can even hide the receiver somewhere under the seat or somewhere that a theif wouldn't actually see it. The idea being that hotwiring the bike would be a harder proposition because the starter wires are "somewhere else". I mean, let's face it, it isn't hard to hotwire a bike... or a car for that matter.

Also, what sort of huge discount can you get me? $399!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
You can do anything you want with the ignition. Leave it, remove it. You can relocate the wires anywhere they'll reach.

You're right about hotwiring a bike, or car. If you know what you're doing, it's not really hard.

RJR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts