Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m bought an 05 wide glide from a buddy and I love the bike. Runs and looks great. But I noticed that my bike was able to turn on and run without the key fob anywhere close to my bike. So I even took the battery out of the key fob and it will still start up and run. This shouldn’t happen right?! This is a button free key fob btw. So after some research I read on several different forums and seen in several different videos you can bypass the key fob by putting in a pin. And there is a way of finding the pin by a sequence of turning off and on the bike and pushing the turn signals. After several tries, I can’t get a pin or set up a new one. I’m at a loss and don’t know what else to do. And the last thing I want to do is take it to a dealer and have them fix it for who knows how much if it’s something I can fix myself. Has anyone has this problem or have any idea where I can go from here?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
The bike came with 2 fobs I think. Make sure there isn't one somewhere on the bike.

·
Retired citizen
23,889 Posts
Agree with JLR. First look to see if there's a HFSM antenna under the seat to verify the onboard security system. Next look for the spare (hidden) FOB. Also removing your FOB battery momentarily doesn't disable it, the internal circuit capacitors store a charge. Try removing the battery and punching some buttons before replacing the battery. Punching the buttons will discharge the capacitors then the FOB will be dead.
AND check for codes, the procedure is in a sticky in the electrical section.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Retired citizen
23,889 Posts
Forget punching buttons, there aren't any, duh ! Another thought, leave your FOB in the kitchen then go out and get on the bike, the turn directionals should start flashing to indicate the security system has been breeched. Some HFSM FOBs have really good range, like out to 30' or so. RF goes thru walls etc..

·
Retired citizen
23,889 Posts
A lot of riders hide the spare FOB on their bikes but forget to replace the batteries yearly. If the FOB is on the bike or in close proximity it's wearing the internal battery down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forget punching buttons, there aren't any, duh ! Another thought, leave your FOB in the kitchen then go out and get on the bike, the turn directionals should start flashing to indicate the security system has been breeched. Some HFSM FOBs have really good range, like out to 30' or so. RF goes thru walls etc..
I’ve done all that. Left the keys away from bike way more than 30’. And the original covers aren’t in the bike. There is a ton of aftermarket parts on this bike. About the only original parts left are the fenders, engine, and frame. And the other key fob is gone. It was broken and trashed a long time ago, there are no compartments or saddle bags where anything could be hidden.

·
Retired citizen
23,889 Posts
Damn dude, maybe the bike no longer has a security system ! If it did the directionals would be flashing when you move the bike. If you can't find the antenna box under the seat or near the battery then it doesn't have HSFM. The box is a black plastic thing about the size of a Slim Zippo with a wire attached. HSFM requires an antenna.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also I have replaced the battery in the key fob. I’ve watched videos on how to bypass the key fob and security by putting in a pin by doing a sequence of turning off and on the bike and pressing the turn signals. Nothing happened. Also I’ve tried setting up a pin. Nothing again. I’m wondering if the wiring was messed with and it’s some how wired to bypass the whole system. Or if it’s just messed up and I need to replace the key fob system. I’m just not looking forward to spending $300. Or more of it needs to go to the dealer.

·
Retired citizen
23,889 Posts
Sorry it's HFSM, Hands Free Security Module.

·
Retired citizen
23,889 Posts
Also I have replaced the battery in the key fob. I’ve watched videos on how to bypass the key fob and security by putting in a pin by doing a sequence of turning off and on the bike and pressing the turn signals. Nothing happened. Also I’ve tried setting up a pin. Nothing again. I’m wondering if the wiring was messed with and it’s some how wired to bypass the whole system. Or if it’s just messed up and I need to replace the key fob system. I’m just not looking forward to spending $300. Or more of it needs to go to the dealer.
Dude if the bike runs then what's the problem ? Do you really need a security system on the bike ?
From what you've said the bike is highly modified already, if it runs as is then what's the problem ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude if the bike runs then what's the problem ? Do you really need a security system on the bike ?
From what you've said the bike is highly modified already, if it runs as is then what's the problem ?
Because of the bike can be started and ran without the key fob, who is to say it won’t be stolen from the parking lot at work or a restaurant while I’m eating dinner. All someone has to do is walk by and flip the switch and see that it turns on. I love my bike and would like to keep it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because of the bike can be started and ran without the key fob, who is to say it won’t be stolen from the parking lot at work or a restaurant while I’m eating dinner. All someone has to do is walk by and flip the switch and see that it turns on. I love my bike and would like to keep it.
I think my best bet at this point would be to buy a new switch and fork lock with new keys and go from there. Maybe wire in a hidden kill switch and call it good

·
Retired citizen
23,889 Posts
Do you have insurance ?
You said something about replacing your bike's security system for $300.00. Shaddup ! ECM, TSSM, FOBs and labor, more like $1500.00.
Maybe just use the fork lock and ignition switch to secure your Harley.

·
Wayward Son
23,817 Posts
If someone wants it,they will get it. No system will stop them.
None of my bikes ever had a security system.
All were customized to an extent. None were ever stolen.
Eyes on is the best security system bar none.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i installed a scorpion alarm on my 13 since it didn't have one. i like not having to use the key, hop on and off whenever. even though a lot of people in milwaukee don't even lock them lol. and no, i don't do it thinking that is going to prevent someone stealing it. the chip keeps the honest people honest and i don't wear out the key lol.

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
Use your factory key lock forks and ignition till you find a cure or what ever.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I’ve done all that. Left the keys away from bike way more than 30’. And the original covers aren’t in the bike. There is a ton of aftermarket parts on this bike. About the only original parts left are the fenders, engine, and frame. And the other key fob is gone. It was broken and trashed a long time ago, there are no compartments or saddle bags where anything could be hidden.
When i bought my Ultra, it came with one fob and one key. I figured out how to loose both at the same time on a long ride, within a couple weeks of purchase... The bike couldn't care less about the fob or the key... I would not let it out of my line of site! I ordered new key and ask about the fob at the dealership.. That's when i found out that my vin didn't come with the security system. So why the fob???? Purchased the bike from a ex used cars salesman.....Friggin Azz Hat!

So i just use the steering lock and keep my insurance current! Ride on!

Reactions: SoftailBilly
1 - 20 of 27 Posts