Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For when I get my 2009 FXSTC back from HD with the new TSM and 2 new keys. How does the igniton switch work? Why have a key and also a knob? Is it ok to turn the key to on and pocket it and then turn the knob to on or off? Doesn't draw a current like that? Won't run down the battery? I just don't understand the key/ knob thing.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yep, I always unlock then pocket/clip keys and use the keys to lock it again if I stop somewhere I need to lock it. If at the house then I just turn the knob to off so it won't run the battery down. Nice not having to have keys dangling off of your bike.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Do not put your key in the same pocket you keep your beer money.

My key is laying somewhere on 4th street in Sioux City IA after last night.

Fortunately I had a spare along with me (as I had the ignition and steering locked).

I guess tomorrow I'll find out how much the dealer is going to charge me for another spare key.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have the security system it is awesome because you just unlock, put the key in your pocket, disarm sec system and move it to ignition. If you do a quick stop (food, beer, etc) where you can see the bike just put the switch in to the off position and the arm the sec sys.

It is awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have the security system it is awesome because you just unlock, put the key in your pocket, disarm sec system and move it to ignition. If you do a quick stop (food, beer, etc) where you can see the bike just put the switch in to the off position and the arm the sec sys.

It is awesome!!!

and if you misplace the fob and try to start the bike.....
I nuked it. I can simply turn the key to off and pocket the key.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Do not put your key in the same pocket you keep your beer money.

My key is laying somewhere on 4th street in Sioux City IA after last night.

Fortunately I had a spare along with me (as I had the ignition and steering locked).

I guess tomorrow I'll find out how much the dealer is going to charge me for another spare key.
Any lock shop can cut you a barrel key. Mine charges about $5.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts

It is awesome!!!

and if you misplace the fob and try to start the bike.....
I nuked it. I can simply turn the key to off and pocket the key.

well it doesn't have a proximity sensor so if you disarm it is gonna stay unlock

1 - 11 of 11 Posts