Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 606 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday the 29th, Diezel and I are leaving Chicagoland and riding to Key West. 1530 miles one way. Here's the story:

The squaw and I planned on taking our boys to the Grand Canyon that week. Some of you know that her best friend went into remission about three years ago from breast cancer and soon after, her husband, my buddy, was struck by a car while running, and killed. About a year ago her cancer returned. Chemo keeps it from growing, but she can only have chemo for so long. She feels good right now, but God knows for how long. So, my squaw and her are taking all the kids (our two and her four) on a vacation. My squaw doesn't like to leave me so she said she'd feel better about it if I had something to do. Hence, the ride. Everyone wins.

Diezel, like a champ, found a way to put his life on hold and make it a duet so I wouldn't be alone. As Forrest Gump would say, he's "my best good friend."

I don't share all this for any sympathy, although prayers for my squaw's "best good friend" are appreciated. I share it so you have some perspective along the way as Diezel and I share our story.

Many thanks to our other best good bros who offered to come along. You are important to us and we appreciate you. This feels like a trip we have to take alone.

Can't wait to start sharing next Sunday.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
There is only one word to describe this.

EPIC!

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess I coulda just said that. :rollin

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Subscribed. Beyond stoked for you, my brosephs. Hope you update us often.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Chief,

First things first. Prayers and good thoughts for your wife's friend. And sorry for your loss of your friend.

Too bad your timing is off from being able to hit Daytona bike week on your way to the Keys. But sounds like a great journey. Are you planning to backroad it all the way or super slab? Just so you know we have totally skipped spring here in south Florida and jumped in to summer. Most days lately mid to upper 80's and low 70's or upper 60's in the evening. We are not in our rainy season yet that officially starts around May 22nd give or take. So you should have decent weather once you get to Florida. I am subscribed keep us on the loop.
Ride safe!!!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sounds like the ride of a lifetime! Wish I were on that run!

I have always wanted to go to Key West and have a few drinks
where Ernest Hemingway used to hang out; Sloppy Joe's Bar.

I think they even have a look-alike contest there so you may want
to start growing a beard if you don't already have one. Hope you
post up lots of pics!

Good Luck to you and all your Best Good Friends.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
:thumbsup:usa:bigguns:heroThat is the trip I used to dream about 40 years ago. Enjoy and post often. I'll be doing the ride vicariously with you as my body surely could not make it now.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Prayers sent. Hope this trip is a great one fellas and that the girls and the kids have a blast and reconnect. Look forward to the updates. Safe travels to all, my friends.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This will be my fifth visit to Key West. My last time was 15 years ago, though. First time on two wheels. I trailered there once, but had bike trouble every day once we got their so didn't ride much at all.

Diezel's first time and it's on his bucket list. Can't want to show him around. And by "show him around" I mean park our asses in bar stools and drink our lives away in paradise.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1426964192.814581.jpg

Here's my '73 Yamaha at the southernmost point.

·
Official Forum [email protected]
3,582 Posts
There's something about riding A1A from Florida City down to Key West ( on a bike ) that does wonders for your head...:thumbsup Though your initial thoughts will be on the downside because of the situation your friend is in...let your mood be changed and find the positives this ride can do to your frame of mind . There is something good and cleansing that we take from life's ' necessary evils ' .

When you get to Key West , go to Mallory Square and celebrate the sunset of another day being alive...you will see what I mean...THEN go have a drink at Sloppy Joe's or Captain Tony's and toast your friends life and his wife's future...make the second toast to yourself...:thumbsup

And that's all I guttah say about that...

:biker:

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Chief, I hope you and JP have a fun filled, safe trip to the Keys. I'll be subscribed. Prayer out for your wife's best friend and that they also have a fun trip. Peace.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,462 Posts
Enjoy the ride to the US tropics. Do you guys have a route planned yet or are you just pointing south for the first bar you come to going that direction?

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We're just going to go the way we're supposed to. It'll come to us.

·
Bird Whisperer
1,742 Posts
Subscribed. Safe travels to you and Diezel, also to your Squaw and her friend and your families. I can't wait to see the pics.

1 - 20 of 606 Posts