Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I am not sure where to post this. I have a 2008 EG. I have noticed kick back on the starter while starting the engine. it is not consistant. I am assume it is possibly due to no compression release.
starter stopped working so replaced starter drive clutch works great but worried about this kick back and how often will I end up rebuilding starter. is there any fix for this?

·
Just Ride
3,259 Posts
Compensator going bad is first thing that comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
A new 500 cold cranking amps Lightning Start Battery cured mine of this . Make sure your battery is up to snuff before laying out any big bucks . Just saying ......

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
Could be your compensator. Have any rattling noise coming from primary at idle? Problem started with the 96 engines. Check all your battery connections including one going to starter & grounds, clean & tight. I changed out to the SE Compensator and eliminated all kick back starts. All newer model big twins have changed over to heavier duty compensators, not sure what year started.

·
Just Ride
3,259 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys!!
no rattling noise just every now and then it kicks back when I start it. battery seems weak in my opinion. but tested good. replaced clutch drive in starter checked all cables appear good. ill just play it by ear maybe replace battery just to be on the safe side. have the manual looks pretty simple. is there a good after market compensator?
or stick with factory se?

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
thanks guys!!
no rattling noise just every now and then it kicks back when I start it. battery seems weak in my opinion. but tested good. replaced clutch drive in starter checked all cables appear good. ill just play it by ear maybe replace battery just to be on the safe side. have the manual looks pretty simple. is there a good after market compensator?
I bought the SE Compensator because I knew it would fit. But others are out there. Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks guys!!
Stumbled across this thread while researching the same issue with my 2013 Street Glide. It started all of a sudden and have NEVER had this issue with any of my other Harleys. Kicks back and coughs out through the air cleaner, sounds like the motor is going to come apart. Just curious if you changed battery and if that corrected the problem, I'd like to start with the least expensive item first. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Just Ride
3,259 Posts
Compensator. Now go to New members section and introduce yourself. Vulcan engineering makes a solid sprocket to replace comp. cheapest way out.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
^^^^^ What FritzHD said. Open primary check for tightness or failure. You should have latest and greatest Twin Cam compensator I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts